Author Topic: Bitten by the sidescroller bug...  (Read 69728 times)

Offline sakket

• poop'n
    • View Profile
    • my yootoob
Re: Bitten by the sidescroller bug...
« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2010, 06:46:39 pm »
oh man oh man. I was watching this project just admiring the work done, but I never expected to actually get to play it! (mac user)
littleroller.blogspot.com

Offline be0ez

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2010, 03:35:16 am »
Some pretty fab stuff man. Really loving this. This encourages me to work more on my pixel artwork. So you can say.. you've kinda inspired me  ;D

Offline CrazyMLC

• C+C is your friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2010, 06:26:22 pm »
Eagerly awaiting an update on this project!
You should never try to imitate something, you should only try to represent it the best you can.

Offline Jad

• -But a miserable pile of pixels!
    • View Profile
    • bomb boy dot se
« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2010, 12:12:43 am »
People, too much onelining going on in the thread - I don't mind the encouragement but if future readers will have to scroll past half pages of 'looking cool, man', that'll suck.

We're trying to keep this a verbal forum, in our wonderful elitist pixelation spirit (eh, what am I sayiing!) so do give feedback on what is already posted, or be patient for another update. Or if you want to convey your anticipation, like crazyMLC, feel free to send Howard a PM.

Over and out! <3
:]

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2010, 08:59:43 pm »
alspal, Mike, and sakket: It's unlikely I'll have a Mac or flash build of this game - too many of the MMF2 Dev plugins I use won't compile for java or flash. Sorry. I tried.
be0ez: Glad you like it, man!
CrazyMLC: happy to oblige...
Jad: Well said.

Okay, so! Some major improvements - I got the music and sound in, but I'm running into a crash in the sound engine. I'm using the Onu Audio Engineer...and I don't know how to fix it. :( Still working on it, of course...and I might have an idea on how to fix it. *might*. The other big improvement is that I've added debris and corpses when you kill the bugs - stuff that sticks around. Also scorch marks from your gun, on the ground. Makes it feel way more visceral - and there's a neat sense of accomplishment when you see the junkyard full of damage you just wrought upon your mechanical enemies. :D

In the mean time, I've started re-making the intro - the video I had been making, while cool, was too different in style to the rest of the game. With that in mind, I've put this together:
http://www.hedfiles.net/intro.exe 1.4mb
Still sort of broken, the sun doesn't act properly, and the ship is missing, as is some printing text action! I'll hopefully have an update tonight.
Enjoy!

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 24, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »
http://www.hedfiles.net/intro2.exe 1.4MB - better motion, things work right-ish now. Got on-screen text, working sun flare...goodness.

Offline Perciv@l

• View Profile
    • www.prr-art.com
« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2010, 09:52:04 pm »
please add a header to the window!
the application window is starting half off the screen and I can't reposition it to the center.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2010, 07:32:05 pm »
Perciv@l: Sorry about that - I've added resolution tuning in the latest...

Here's the most recent version, and pretty much complete...graphically, sounds still need to be added.
http://www.hedfiles.net/intro4.exe -7mb, Use 1,2,3 to change the resolution. Next up: sound FX.
Enjoy!

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter
« Reply #258 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:26 am »
I would love to see the intro when it is not 2x zoom.

The intro looks good. The only flaw that I saw was the fire when the ship went into orbit. The flame is completely horizontal. I feel that it should have some tilt and then also decrease in saturation as if to fade away a little better.

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 27, 2010, 04:49:43 pm »
It's beautiful Howard, though I have to use my task manager to kill it (and is there any way to have a full screen with bars at top and bottom for the proper aspect ratio?).

I can't believe that nice blue planet - I have never seen such interesting and lovely patterning.

I'll try to make this a useful post by saying that the text tends to blend with the background, making it somewhat hard to read, and on the line where it is mentioned that the GunApe is returning, the word "returning" prints on the second line and then gets bumped to the third when it doesn't fit (a paragraph-ending character could be put just before the word with no detriment to the meaning, I feel).

But these are little little things, and do not affect the fact that it functions which is the important thing. In the interests of rapid prototyping, I would never fix anything that doesn't keep the game from functioning until the game is completed, because it is all too easy for a project to stall - even indefinitely - while fiddling on trivia.

Thank you for the update - again, I think it was beautiful and had a great atmosphere.

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2010, 05:38:34 pm »
It's beautiful Howard, though I have to use my task manager to kill it
alt+f4

Offline eobet

• View Profile
    • eobet disajn
« Reply #261 on: April 13, 2010, 05:44:54 pm »
Hoooooly crap this looks absolutely fantastic!

Only discovered it today and spend a few minutes being more and more impressed by each page I saw.

The main character still feels a bit like an odd choice to me...

oh man oh man. I was watching this project just admiring the work done, but I never expected to actually get to play it! (mac user)

Whoah, what? Did I miss a mac version somewhere? Tell me where, please!

iPhone version too perhaps? ;)

Totally commercial quality on the graphics anyway. I hope the gameplay holds up!

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers
« Reply #262 on: April 15, 2010, 01:19:47 pm »
Like eobet I also found out about this project today, and i've read every single post! I'm in love with the progress so far!
I have a question, I'm also making games in MMF2, but how do you get frames to have semi-transparancy (for example in the smoke).
Is there an easy way to place/paste frames in MMF2 with transparancy?

Keep up the good work! You will be able to earn a lot of mony with this game (by either letting a company sell it or by selling it yourself).

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.
« Reply #263 on: April 26, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »
http://www.pixelprospector.com/indev/2010/04/absent-eden/

I've got PixelProspector in my subscriptions on YouTube, and was excited when I saw the game featured there.  Keep up the great work!

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 26, 2010, 10:01:41 pm »
Ninja Crow: Alt-f4 should quit, as will hitting Esc. and selecting "Quit" (in the actual game). I shall fix the text to be more legible, perhaps I'll change the color. I'm not gonna blow a whole lot of time on it, but I should get it to a good place before I move on, right?
Photocopier: Thanks. :D
sakket: Sadly, there isn't currently a Mac version available. Some of the additional MMF2 extensions I use don't provide executables for Java builds. This is really unfortunate, and if I knew of a way around it I would go for it - unfortunately the extensions are rather important - IE the sound engine. :(
eobet: Thanks! I was honestly going for an odd choice for the main character - I have grown tired of every other player character being some random anime guy or action girl. I thought I'd mix it up a bit. I may still change it at some future point - I'm in the midst of re-modeling the main character. I may change my mind, but don't hold out too much hope. :P
Vertigo-zero: Thanks. On the MMF2 question...I'm not actually creating any of these assets in MMF2 itself - I render them out from 3DSMAX as PNGs with alpha channels built in. When I import those assets into MMF2, it automatically finds and respects those alpha channels. From what I've seen of the MMF2 internal image editor...it doesn't look to handle alpha channels very well. I'm not sure how to solve your problem. :(
McClaneGames : Yeah! He pinged me with that this morning. Pretty cool!

So - here's what's up. I've done very little on this project in the last month - I purchased a house, and have been running around like an insane person trying to cover all the needed tasks related to the whole thing. It's taken a month to get to the point where I had my first free day to relax (yesterday) and I didn't give any thought at all to this project then. :D Too busy vegging.
That said, I'm back into it!
CURRENT TASKS OF TERROR AND DOOM
Fix intro text
fix intro re-entry flame (too goofy right now -I think I can do better...)
Then, continue on to one of the following - I have no idea which one I'll hit first:
Add SPIDERBOT to the game...
Add health and coolant pickups to the random dropable system
Create a crate and container system
Create a point/score/money/RPG/selective end of level upgrade system
Continue creating intro sequence and main menu - as well as a "how to play" and credits screen
Start making City Rooftops Level End-boss. (MUWHAHAHAHA)
More Cityrooftops art - including kites and shit in the backgrounds...

Yeah, lots to do. If anyone would like to chime in and comment on *which* of those they'd like seen done first, go for it!

Offline Reo

• It's a...trap(I guess?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 27, 2010, 04:53:05 am »

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 27, 2010, 05:52:31 pm »
@Photocopier & Howard:  Thanks for the help, guys!

GunApe == coolest new game character of the decade!

If it's not too much trouble, could you list the MMF extensions you are using?  I have Game Maker, and I'm curious if Fusion is superior in this plug-ins department.

Pixel Prospector looks like a cool site, congrats, Mr Day!  (though I do feel a little left out by havin' you on that other forum behind our backs... ;))

>I'm not gonna blow a whole lot of time on it, but I should get it to a good place before I move on, right?
Great philosophy - especially for games with such a small team! ;)  Nothing seems a greater risk to the birth of a game than to be hopelessly mired in details that could be fixed after all the important stuff is done - or never - just as long as they are at that minimum good place.  Of course it helps when the very first workable version of things is as awesome as your stuff is - seriously, there's hardly anything you've put into it from day one that didn't already kick all kinds of butt!  :y:

As for what to put in next, it depends on your personality:  Do you get bored if you work on the same task past the beginning 'hey, that'd be neat!' stage, always looking for a cool new challenge, or can you soldier on at the tasks that are the most important to next finish?  I would label each new thing you think of to put in the game with the following three settings:
  • Green.  Anything put in the green category is something either so esoteric that only a developer would ever notice, or with which the game could actually run, play, and be released without it ever having been implemented (e.g. wanting a colour change to an enemy, or having a special text effect over credits, or making something swish when you run past it, etc.).
  • Yellow.  These are things that make a difference, but which do not keep the game from running.  This category includes non-serious bugs such as an animation fluttering.  If you can actually get from start to finish without a feature, then it's a Yellow category feature (e.g. no specific animation for being knocked back by enemies, or no sound effect for an action like jumping, or no intro story, etc.).
  • Red.  These are serious issues, like the kind that can kill game play dead.  These are the missing sprites, fall-off-the-screen, 'what happened to my controls', 'where's the last level' type of issues.
Therefore, anything you label as a red category action would be the first to be worked on, even if something else were more fun.  The only exception would be if the fun thing could be done in a day or less!  If you are the type who has to have everything perfect before you can even think of moving on (vs. someone who paints in the broad areas of colour and then comes back to details if they have time or inclination) then this may rankle you a bit....  (in case you can't tell, I'm speaking of myself here  :) and have to go against my natural obsessiveness and try really hard to finish big things before the little things, even though the fear of people seeing my stuff half complete is nearly crippling - how about you?)

I don't know if you want to use such a system, or have one of your own, but if you'll permit me, I'll take the liberty of labeling your 'To Do List' (including past items and a couple of my own...) in the following way:

1. Fix intro text - green
2. fix intro re-entry flame - green
3. Add SPIDERBOT to the game... - yellow
4. Add health and coolant pickups to the random dropable system - red
5. Create a crate and container system - yellow
6. Create a point/score/money/RPG/selective end of level upgrade system - yellow
7. Continue creating intro sequence and main menu - as well as a "how to play" and credits screen - yellow
8. Start making City Rooftops Level End-boss. (MUWHAHAHAHA) - red
9. More Cityrooftops art - including kites and shit in the backgrounds... - green
10. terrain variation - building height changes, that sort of thing - red
11. I might just have to make a version that's obviously UI in nature. - green
12. The player model - yellow
13. and movement in general. - red
14. Complete the visible In-game HUD - red
15. Intro - yellow
16. Main menu - red
17. decide if there will be any in-game collectibles and if finding all (including hidden ones) is necessary for 100% & 'good' ending - yellow
18. level two concept - red  ;)
19. task someone who can be both prolixy and pithy to craft the story text or a set-up novelette - green  ;)
20. name the levels (one suggestion for city rooftops:  Ghost Colony) - yellow  ;)

You may wish to get a community consensus as to the category of each item, or make your own judgement, of course.  (I've numbered the list so its items can be easily referrenced)

Congrats on your new house!

JD

Offline eobet

• View Profile
    • eobet disajn
« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »
So this is game maker? Great, now compile a mac version pronto:

http://glog.yoyogames.com/?p=817

Pretty please with sugar on top?

Offline Gil

• Gotta love me
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2010, 02:04:08 pm »
It's not Game Maker, it's MMF2 or something like that.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2010, 05:14:53 pm »
Reo: I actually added health pickups - just to see how complex that sort of system might be. Long story short, not very. Gonna add a coolant pickup (far more common than the health pickups) I really like how the small health pickups look. I think I nailed it. :D
- the first one is when the pickup is spawned and bouncing around, the second one is when it comes to a rest.
Now I just gotta make a "Pickup" effect when you grab it, so they don't just disappear.

Ninja Crow: Holy nuts. I will try and get you the list of extensions with the next update - I don't have it with me, and I've got waaaay more installed than I'm actually using. Off the top of my head, I've got the Onu audio engineer...and I don't really remember any others. :(
That's a hell of a list and an neat way of categorizing them. Personally, I can get somewhat bored easily - I've been meaning to re-do the player character animations for months now - but I keep getting distracted by shiney objects.

eobet: Sorry, I'm using Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer Version. It can do Mac builds, but only through Java executables.

Gil: Yep.

EDIT: So aI added an activate mode and altered the bouncey spawn...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:53:46 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Dr D

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 29, 2010, 04:17:23 pm »
Why'd you change the 'bouncy spawn', the previous version was much more fluid and better looking. Although maybe the animation on it could be slowed down a bit. I think that would be a nice in-between.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 21, 2010, 04:02:44 pm »
Dr D: Sorry I didn't reply straight off! In answer to your question, two reasons: First, I lost the original animation file, and had to re-do it, and second, the smoothness of the original was actually a problem - it didn't look like the health powerup was actually hitting the ground at any points. Adding some stutter to the animation solved that problem.

Anyhow, I'm back working on this! I've kept working on the intro and got quite a lot further on it. I've also started working on the backgrounds for the first level. Your scoutship crash-lands at night in a secluded part of the Forest outside the city I've already built. Anyhow, here's what I've got!
The furthest back layer/the sky/atmosphere base. The stars go behind this. :

Midground hills:

MidForeground hills:

So those glowing mushrooms are gonna have little bugs zipping around them - since I'm not having the trees move on the beginning levels - I'm going for a more pastoral, calm before the storm sorta feel.
Anyhow, I'm pretty excited about this. I really like how the combo of dark forest, stars, and pale green glowing mushrooms turned out. I'll post up the latest intro tonight when I get home.

Enjoy!

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2010, 08:53:30 am »
@ Howard Day:
Glad to hear from you!
I can see the stars twinkling and hear the crickets chirruping in that forest already!

(p.s. before I spend too much time looking for the right setting to change on my old monitor, I should probably ask, are the forest images supposed to be only silhouettes?)

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2010, 03:43:57 pm »
Ninja Crow: Hahaha. Yep. Those are actually supposed to be fully detailed. hard to tell in the way they had been presented.

That should better show how it looks in-game.

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2010, 08:14:29 pm »
Your colours must be very dark, because my CRT only shows a large black square with a few green dots at the bottom.  :'(

On my friend's LCD, though, I see a violet horizon, and trees, and hills, and even stars!  ???

I put the image in GIMP, and when I click the auto-adjust colours button for all channels, a beautiful, vivid image pops into view with greens, reds, and purples.  It's a striking and attractive image, I must say.  :y:

Is there something wrong I'm doing on my end? (sorry to suggest that the 'otherwise' is that it's your fault - the last thing I want to do is put a burden on your development.  :()

Offline dkh

• View Profile
    • Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth
« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2010, 09:47:05 pm »
It's pretty much fine here, especially when I put it in fullscreen mode.

Looks very nice as always, Howard. Two things:

- I don't like that one big cross star that's in the sky three times. It sticks out too much and looks cheap IMHO. The smaller ones are all fine.
- I don't like how the bright green spots are actually brighter than the stars. Looks weird and artificial to me. I would increase the brightness of the stars to make them pop more and reduce it slightly on those plants (?).

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2010, 10:31:41 pm »
In fullscreen mode its nicely readable on my big screen; though with a bright background around it (the image being windowed, or in this situation just on the page of the forum), as well as on my laptop screen it shows as near shilouettes. Although the stars and mushrooms are visible, I suggest you compare this more to the previous display of imageinary which looks just fine on any screen; because although an image may be nice in some cases, it should be in all, regardless of anyones screen settings. Very appealing work though, the layers should read somewhat more clearly even after readjusting the colours I think, but the way the light is arranged it really pops out nice with an effect of nearly contours still displaying texture of leaves on the trees. I'm definately glad you keep going on with this, as I have been looking at its previous level from a learning perspective for myself as well.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:34:10 pm by TrevoriuS »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2010, 05:33:01 pm »
Ninja Crow: Well, sounds like your CRT needs to be calibrated. ;) Take a look at the Animated intro, and tell me if it looks any different.
DKH: Thanks, buddy! The cross stars were temporary, and have been replaced. Good call. I'll play with the relative brightness of the stars and glowing mushrooms.
TrevoriuS: I will be adjusting the brightness of these layers to better show up. Take a look at the moving/animated version and tell me if it works for you.

So. I’ve finished the intro…moving on to the main menu.
http://www.hedfiles.net/AbsentEdenIntro.exe -40MB

Lemme know what you think.

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2010, 07:30:30 pm »
      ???

:'(

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2010, 09:23:19 pm »
Seriously? I've run it on three different machines. Could you give it another shot?
That really doesn't make any sense.

Offline ndchristie

• Unicorn Rainbow Sunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2010, 10:26:43 pm »
If i can provide my own opinion, my screen is very bright and well calibrated (not perfect, but very good) and I would also consider your screen unnecessarily dark.  Unless you plan on having a very dark game I feel like you could bring it up quite a bit; in fact I'd recommend this as I think the bullets on screen will be blindingly bright and wipe out any sense of the background unless you had absolute calm for a moment.

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2010, 08:28:15 am »
> That really doesn't make any sense.

I know, and I tried like half a dozen times, and in three different screen resolutions (INI hack...).

I don't even know what stdrt.exe is.  So I searched it, and found this at the click team forums - don't know if it helps?

Offline CrazyMLC

• C+C is your friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 24, 2010, 10:51:53 am »
     ???

[IMG ]Error[ /img]

:'(
I also get this error. :'(

Nice to see you back working on this, Howard!

I'd like the comment on what I can see, the backgrounds.
I can make out the shapes and forms, but it's taunting me. I can't really see the whole image for what it is, primarily because it's just too dark!
The stars seem dim, as when you go outside in real life the stars are shining brilliantly in the night sky.

Otherwise, from what I can make out, it's beautiful. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:53:28 am by CrazyMLC »
You should never try to imitate something, you should only try to represent it the best you can.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 27, 2010, 11:09:30 pm »
ndchristie: I had simply calibrated it to be as dark as possible and still be readable on my monitor. Luckily, the first level has no energy weapons, and the second has only limited usage.
Ninja Crow: I have done a few things I hope have fixed your crash. since I'm not gettingthe same thing, I can't test my fixes.
CrazyMLC: Hope the new build fixes it for you, as well. I have lightened it up considerably - in fact it's more than twice as bright.

There's a new compo, sans stars. much brighter.
http://www.hedfiles.net/AbsentEdenIntro2.exe -50MB

Enjoy, and I hope it works...

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 28, 2010, 08:39:50 am »
In the image you posted, I can now see a dim, navy blue band across its centre.  I don't know how you feel, philosophically, about the imagery being visible in all possible monitors (though making it 'as dark as possible', especially if your monitor happens to be set rather bright, seems like a sure way to catch at least some people at a disadvantage...) so if this is getting to be too bothersome for you, I won't feel a bit bad if you back-burner or drop the issue.

As for the new intro - same problem.  I know nothing about MMF, but when I Googled 'stdrt.exe' the page I found seemed to suggest that it might be created because of a compressed runtime.  Do you compress your runtime?

Offline ptoing

• Administrator
  • variegated quadrangle arranger
    • View Profile
    • ptoing bloing
« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2010, 10:03:23 am »
Hm, I have no problem with the new image. Looks good to me, the banding is nicely hidden by the diffuse dither.

Ninja Crow: If you seriously see quite visible banding it might be your monitor not having the full 32 bit or even 24 bit range.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline CrazyMLC

• C+C is your friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2010, 10:19:01 am »
It's perfect now, Howard.
The brightness, I mean.

I tried it again, and I got the same error. :(
Maybe I can send an error report later.

But, I went over to a friend's computer (he uses linux) and he was able to run it.
It looks good, but the framerate is a little low. The scene with the ship entering the atmosphere needs a bit of work, the ship's effect to make it look like a fireball could be better.
The bullets just seemed to come out of nowhere...
Perhaps you should add a little scene of turrets popping out of the ground or something to that effect?

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2010, 02:34:51 pm »
NinjaCrow: Gaaaah. I'm frankly not willing to go any brighter on the night time scenes - it's already very hollywood bright - far brighter than I think it probably should be. I realize that's neccessary for people of various monitor configurations; but if all you can truly see is a blue band, you might consider re-calibrating your monitor to a test image. I do compress my executable - because when I didn't my sound management system didn't seem to work at all. Unfortunately, that very same sound system seemed to be causing the vast majority of the bugs I've been dealing with. I've removed it in the latest version. That also means no sounds.
ptoing: Good, glad it's up to snuff.
CrazyMLC: Damn. On the atmo entry, I agree that the fire ball could use some smoke behind it, also perhaps a faster framerate.
http://www.hedfiles.net/AbsentEdenIntro3.exe -50MB
Uncompressed executable, no sounds effect engine.

Hope that works.

Offline Konrad

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 28, 2010, 08:00:31 pm »
I'm with you Howard. The background is much too bright now IMO. Stay with the brightness it initially had. You can't take every monitor configuration in consideration, especially those not calibrated.

Offline CrazyMLC

• C+C is your friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 29, 2010, 04:23:02 am »
Hey, mine's calibrated.  :'(

At the size the game seems to be at, it seems like it's for a hand held console of some sort. If that is the case, you should try to optimize your brightness for that screen.
But still, it could go a little darker.

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2010, 08:32:54 am »
So I calibrated my monitor using these two sites while I waited for the third intro to download.  Wow, no wonder everybody on PJ said my avatar was so desaturated!  Anyway, on your posted image:  Sky gradient, tree layers, and glowing mushrooms all show up just fine now!  I may have to darken it back a bit, because it seems a little too bright at a 'perfectly calibrated' setting, but for now I have:
  • gamma = 1.6
  • brightness = 1
  • contrast = 45
(How does your monitor compare to the sites' calibration charts, compared to mine?  If I can match yours, I'll be safe in the future!)

And when I activated your intro, it played! ;D

\o/

Definitely worth the wait - it was simply amazing.  Dynamic, exciting, efficient, colourful, and a great tease for the rest of the game.  Great ship, great font, and great fireball (I like how it spits off a smaller bit for a real feeling of breaking up, and maybe even foreshadowing pieces to recollect).  I love it.  I watched it in awesome full size, since the default resolution plays buried in the lower right corner of my screen.

I would consider it perfect now, and I can't wait to see the forest level!

(and thank you very much for being so patient with me :-[)

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 29, 2010, 05:20:48 pm »
Phew. Okay, glad that seems to work for everyone. I'm re-building the sound effects, and I'm going to need to re-build the dynamic music switcher. Which is probably going to be a lot of work, but hell, challenges are what I live for. Well, challenges and awesome artwork.

Offline Deidara

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 03, 2010, 09:08:24 am »
I love this!

Although I liked the enemies better before you make orange the main color. The white fits better IMO.

Offline ElectricGrandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 02, 2010, 06:23:58 am »
I'm brand new here, and I've just been browsing this board for the past couple hours and stumbled upon this thread... Sorry if I'm breaking any rules or whatever, but I'm just wondering what happened to this project? It looks absolutely awesome, but none of the download links work anymore, and I've search high-and-low with Google any can't find any info on it.

-Matt

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 17, 2010, 09:04:20 pm »
Oh, hey! Sorry about the lag, and the broken links. I am still working on this, on and off. The reason for the missing links is a rather upset e-mail from my web host - I had close to 15GB of stuff stored on his server. I may have been a bit overzealous in clearing it up. :)
 So, here's the plan: I've got a couple of other projects I've got to complete, then I'll power back on this. The major change is the re-coding of the dynamic music system, since the current plugin is apparently very unstable and was causing an irregular crash. After that, I've got the spider bot that needs doing...then the level boss.
That should do it for one level. Then I've got to figure out if I've got interest in doing a full, or even short game.

Thanks for your continued interest!

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 17, 2010, 09:58:40 pm »
Howard Day, Thanks for the update, it's hard to be patient when the project is this awesome! :)

Offline Kaito

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 08, 2011, 07:30:21 am »
isnt looks like he is shooting, he looks like he is recieving it....

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile
    • Stop That Pixel
« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2011, 04:05:51 am »
Hey Howard,
I just finished watching the demo of Absent Eden on Pixel Prospector.
Let me just start by stating the obvious, your game is beautiful, and I really do hope that one day there is a mac version. (Without it I'm sadly left in the cold)
The only criticism I have to offer is that when I was watching the video, I kept losing the targeting reticule on the screen, especially when it would zip into the midst of a large group of enemies.
My suggestion to remedy this, would be to change the color scheme of the reticule, from whites and oranges, to mainly blues.
I think this would help it stand out from the enemies.

Well, that wraps things up for me, I will be anxiously monitoring this thread for future developments.

Sincerely,
The 7th Sin
Check out my twitter @ https://twitter.com/Stopthatpixel :D