Author Topic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 314749 times)

Offline alex pang

• View Profile
Re: Official Off-Topic Thread
« Reply #2300 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:39 am »

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:10 pm »
I feel like I've seen that piece of Bruce Lee in PixelJoint but I can't check because it's down.  :yell:

EDIT http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/67935.htm
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:21:22 pm by leroy »

Offline Cure

• Pixel Power
    • View Profile
    • Possum Art
« Reply #2302 on: March 16, 2012, 09:58:24 pm »

Offline alex pang

• View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: March 16, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
Thanks! (I'm gonna stalk that guy XD, he is amazing!)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: March 16, 2012, 10:47:26 pm »
DA is holding an "8-Bit" contest for hoodie designs.
I'd probably enter but judging by the pics they posted and some of the entries so far I fear that they are after the "intentionally shitty because retro" look which is kinda sad.
Any of you want to enter?
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: March 22, 2012, 03:36:34 pm »
   Just got done reading Moby Dick. I must say, I can see how this book received such mixed reactions when it first came out. Maybe it's due to the volume of movies I've inhaled over my lifetime, as opposed to books, but I felt this story dragged far too long in it's waist.
   It felt as if the writer(Melville) had trouble deciding what type of book he was wanting this to be when starting it off, what with the silly antics between Ishmael and Queequeg, to the GIANT wad of ship and whale anatomy in the middle, and finally the mad hunt in the end. Ahab is introduced bit by bit, which kind of hurts the novel's excitement of progression, in my opinion. When I was younger, I heard so many great things about this character, and he was built so largely as some American literary icon. He is said to be completely mad with vengeance, which I could see the writer was attempting to display. However, his interaction with most Captains he came across, and his crew seemed almost sportsman-like(if whale hunting could be called this, away from it's true cruel nature) as far as the whereabouts of the White whale go during the all save the last chapters. There is only 1 or 2 chapters truly dedicated to him in the middle of the book, and rest feels like Sailor ship-anatomy lessons 101.
   So much description goes into every minute detail, that I feel the writer loses himself in what was supposed to be the focal point of the story. I did enjoy the crew, however, and feel they got the brunt of it, in the end. Not that I was angry of their final fate, I just felt that their demise could've been better appreciated had the writer took the time to describe their ends sincerely, instead of mark their deaths "off-screen", so to speak. I was just so frustrated that it took so long for some excitement to reach the book, and have even more so to have it end so abruptly for a crew who were the ONLY reason to even bother with the middle of the bloated story.
   Overall, I wanted to like this, after hearing about it so often. Unfortunately, it dolled on and I can't quite say I enjoyed his Melville's descriptive nature as much as I've enjoyed Hemingway's in this field of story telling. A sad disappointment, for uneducated fool like myself. I'd give it a 2 out of 5 stars.
my back hurts...

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: March 22, 2012, 04:44:18 pm »
Good work sticking with it, even though it felt dragged out. I should, too. I haven't approached Moby Dick at all, yet. I see it's 560 pages though, so that'll have to wait for now! I have other stuff to finish off first (incidentally, Hemingways The Sun Also Rises being one!).

If you want to try another book that really drags on, try Don Quixote ;). Though that's a very "episodic" piece of literature (it's a picaresque, after all), which could serve as an excuse I guess. You could treat it as a long-running TV-series!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:49:26 pm by Charlieton »
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #2307 on: April 02, 2012, 01:51:07 pm »
Help recognize a game!!!

What IS this platformer game? I remember having played it on 286 PC in year 1990 or thereabouts. The starting area looked something like this:

The hero may or may not have had a sword in hand. And the grass was animated like that. The graphics may have been EGA or CGA. I've been wondering about this for years.. decades, in fact. There can't have been that many platformers on PC in the beginning of the 90's, but all my googling attempts have proven futile.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #2308 on: April 04, 2012, 03:51:30 am »
Perhaps it was just a dream.

Perhaps this is dream.

Perhaps . . . we're all just asleep, dreaming.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #2309 on: April 04, 2012, 07:21:13 am »
Perhaps . . . we're all just asleep, dreaming.

No we bloody well aren't.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #2310 on: April 04, 2012, 07:24:03 am »
JJ Naas, I'm wide awake and I've played most of anything for old pcs, but what you've posted doesn't ring a bell. Sorry. You can check on mobygames for your time period of 4-5 years of CGA and EGA for PC and PC Booter.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #2311 on: April 04, 2012, 10:22:30 am »
Thanks. I didn't know Moby Games had such an excellent search feature and database. The game must be this one.

The grass animation is there as well. This was the first non-Nintendo platformer I ever played, on a school computer. It felt epic and mysterious at the time.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: April 04, 2012, 10:48:55 am »
I like your version better  :D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #2313 on: April 04, 2012, 10:55:24 am »
JJ Naas, I've very happy to have helped even a little bit in finding this. I've been in similar situations with yours and it's always rewarding when you finally find the thing that you've been remembering.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #2314 on: April 04, 2012, 02:23:25 pm »
Helm: Yeah, it was nice to finally know this. :) I expected that in my memories it was more awesome than it'd turn out to be, so I was actually positively surprised that judging from the video this game even seems somewhat playable even now. If I were to remake of the graphics, it'd be fun to try to make it similar to the image I've had in my head for decades. Mostly in terms of trying to capture the atmosphere. I made the previous example very gray because I didn't remember what the palette was like.

Platformers were my favourite genre, and I liked them quite slow-paced. This one was faster than I remembered. Maybe I was just such a noob that I played it very slowly and cautiously.

Offline pgil

• peggle peggle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: April 04, 2012, 03:43:44 pm »
Oh, man, Dark Ages  ;D

I love all the weird little details in that game, like how the screen doesn't stop scrolling at the level borders, implying that the game's world is much bigger than the part you get to explore...  Also, how there aren't any transitions between levels. You go through the door in Level 1, and level 2 just appears. There are later levels where you're just walking through a hallway, then the passage behind you sort of clamps shut.  I also found the enemies pretty creepy when I first played it. Of course, I was 7.  Was still pretty fun when I replayed it a while back, though.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #2316 on: April 04, 2012, 04:32:04 pm »
Actually I just played a bit of Dark Ages on dosbox and it's very solid, in my opinion. Besides not having real scrolling.

edit: messed with this for fun

After what Arachne and Surt have done for redefining what's possible for EGA scroller art, my straight tilemap edit's kind of passe, but still, fun.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:57:54 pm by Helm »

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: April 06, 2012, 09:40:05 pm »
I remember playing that as well, but only for a short time.  I myself couldn't remember the name of the game.  I fondly remember finding the 5 1/2" floppy disk it was on.

Too busy playing stuff like Xargon, though, heh.

Offline Conceit

• Camus
    • View Profile
    • CraftMused -- my blog --
« Reply #2318 on: April 13, 2012, 05:51:08 am »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:36:19 pm by Conceit »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • View Profile
    • wvo8ovw
« Reply #2319 on: April 18, 2012, 10:15:16 pm »
Pixelation is way more tao-ier with a default theme. Me likey ;D
-upsdn-

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
« Reply #2320 on: April 22, 2012, 08:54:52 am »
Anyone else playing Fez?

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.
I love the atmosphere and the core gameplay, but all the meta-stuff put me off. First off almost everyone speaks in a language you're supposed to translate outside of the game (pen and paper) but I don't have an HDTV and I can barely even make out the symbols, same problem with the tetris blocks representing buttons I'm supposed to press- the whole thing is what, 3 pixels wide? nope, I'm not pressing my face up against the TV.
And the sheer amount of all these cryptic messages puts me off even attempting to solve one.

I just can't really access this whole other half to the game and it makes it hard to enjoy, I would rather watch someone else play and explain the game- and I think that's a sign of a bad game.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline blumunkee

• We glub but glob.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage of P. K. Mays
« Reply #2321 on: April 23, 2012, 09:46:58 am »
You have some valid complaints mixed with some invalid complaints. A budget monitor + Xbox 360 VGA adapter could improve your experience significantly.
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: April 23, 2012, 09:56:31 am »
That goes for a lot of 360 games, doesn't it?
It seems most game devs think everyone has an HD tv nowadays.
Larger fonts as an option are practically a nonexistant feature for whatever reason.
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
« Reply #2323 on: April 24, 2012, 12:59:54 am »
Yeah, even a few Wii games had very small text that was hard to read, I know I'll get an HDTV eventually but I didn't expect Fez to require one.
I should clarify I don't hate the game, I enjoyed playing it and I don't regret buying it. But there's this whole other half to the game I'm finding a bit too hard to access, like there are these QR barcodes in the game you can scan with your iphone but I don't have one so I have no idea what they do.

Basically, I know I can't get 100% so I feel like it's pointless.

It's a shame because it seems like everyone who's decoding puzzles and translating dialog is having their minds blown.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline junkboy

• View Profile
    • Junkboy
« Reply #2324 on: May 01, 2012, 09:46:50 pm »
Just saw this fantastic Deadly Premonition tribute on youtube. And I swear to god I knew it was Helm from the thumbnail already, don't ask me why!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XECH9w3y3AM

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #2325 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43:58 am »
Hehe, yes. I don't take too much credit for that one because it is a rush-job based on a conversion of a frame of the game, after all.

Offline blumunkee

• We glub but glob.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage of P. K. Mays
« Reply #2326 on: May 07, 2012, 05:37:56 am »
Just an FYI for anyone intersted, Creative Suite 6 is out for download on Adobe's servers. Here's a (legal, legit) direct download link if you want to try the new softwares out.

I really, really, like the new subscription model. I'll gladly shell out $20 a month for the latest and greatest Photoshop version. Creative Cloud looks like a good deal too.
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.

Offline Conceit

• Camus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: May 11, 2012, 03:18:35 am »
The idea of downloading the beta free seems cool, but considering how they're going into subscription model couldnt this possibly have some draconian DRM that embeds itself to your motherboard (exagerating :p) so you can never erease it? this could be the worm to their hook.

Offline blumunkee

• We glub but glob.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage of P. K. Mays
« Reply #2328 on: May 11, 2012, 05:08:29 am »
Actually, it's the older versions of CS that use draconian DRM. CS1 & CS2 install SafeCast DRM, and CS3 installs FlexNet DRM, both of which write data to the boot sector of your HD, which hangs around even during OS re-installs. Newer versions rely solely on phoning home and checking the license key for uniqueness.

Having hopped around between several Mac and Windows computers the past few years, I know way too much about the pains of DRM.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #2329 on: May 12, 2012, 03:38:33 am »
I'm lovin' CS6!

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: May 20, 2012, 11:58:30 pm »
I'm lovin' CS6!

I am too! But the chances that I can afford to buy a license when my trial period expires are very slim. Guess you can pay an additional 20 every month and keep it, though? Does it mean I can pay for one month at a time, as long as I see fit, or is a prolonged subscription required? (I will look this up soon)

Anyway, I've tried my hand at OpenCanvas (latest v.) today, to see if it could be a viable alternative for my cg-arting needs. It's very affordable, at least. Has anyone else here got any good experience with it? Cause to me it's rather confusing. It doesn't appear to work too well with my Bamboo Pen, either, or I'm missing/not understanding something (the stylus button-controls don't seem to work properly).

All I'm wondering is if it has enough to offer that I can attempt to do professional-level art with it. Example: if I'm commissioned to create a fantasy landscape in a painterly style, can I count on OpenCanvas to have all the tools I need towards achieving that goal? Sure, a good artist could make do with any tool, I guess. What I'm trying to get at is if it's feasable to achieve the goal in question in regards to efficiency (not having to do any elaborate, time consuming workarounds to get the desired requirements. That's generally what I feel my issue is with GIMP). Would anyone here have an answer to that?

Otherwise, what other art programs would you suggest that are free to relatively cheap, and could fulfill the requirements of the example above?

Thank you for your time!
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline blumunkee

• We glub but glob.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage of P. K. Mays
« Reply #2331 on: May 21, 2012, 12:53:45 am »
Here's the Photoshop CS6 price breakdown:

$20/month, if you sign up for a 1 year subscription.
$30/month, for month-by-month payments.

There's also Creative Cloud, which gives you access to every single Adobe product. $50/month for yearly subscription, $80 for month-by-month.

Someone on Hacker News did the math, and the new subscription model is cheaper than buying a perpetual license. Especially now that new versions come out yearly.

Otherwise, what other art programs would you suggest that are free to relatively cheap, and could fulfill the requirements of the example above?

MyPaint has a beautiful painting engine. It's free and open source. Very minimalist. It's a great supplement for Photoshop/GIMP. Laydown the foundations in MyPaint, then do final color and rendering adjustments in Photoshop.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:41:57 am by blumunkee »

Offline 9_6

• View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: May 21, 2012, 04:46:30 am »

Paint tool sai makes photoshop look like a klutzy dinosaur when it comes to digital painting and drawing.
It has pretty much everything you need except for text support (which you can always do in something like gimp) and a pretty sane price tag.
I've seen it grow more and more popular among digital artists and for good reason.

You just can't comfortably pixel in it, it's pretty much tailor made for high res cg art only but there are better alternatives for that anyway.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:51:23 am by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: May 21, 2012, 10:36:45 am »
Here's the Photoshop CS6 price breakdown:

$20/month, if you sign up for a 1 year subscription.
$30/month, for month-by-month payments.
Thanks for the info!

As for MyPaint, I've played with it for quite a while. Though I couldn't quite figure out how to get the brushes behave like I wanted. Never really bothered to learn how the brush settings in MyPaint worked, though. I went on to PS because I already knew how to get versatile, foundational brushes for it (through the help of the brilliant Ctrl+Paint).

Paint tool sai makes photoshop look like a klutzy dinosaur when it comes to digital painting and drawing.
It has pretty much everything you need except for text support (which you can always do in something like gimp) and a pretty sane price tag.
I've seen it grow more and more popular among digital artists and for good reason.

You just can't comfortably pixel in it, it's pretty much tailor made for high res cg art only but there are better alternatives for that anyway.

Cool, I'll have another look on that then. I already have GraphicsGale for pixels, and it turns out to be able to handle all professional requirements on the pixel-side of things.

Thanks, all!  :)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: May 30, 2012, 12:09:28 am »
Does anyone know/remember how to remove the automatic anti-aliasing that firefox does when zooming in on an image? I used to have something that addressed it, but for whatever reason that's gone and now I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Jeremy

• HAIL⚝SATAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: May 30, 2012, 08:37:19 am »
This thread? (see Dusty's post)

It's odd, I have a Stylish thing for PJ's forum, but not here, and the click zoom works fine  ???

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: May 30, 2012, 04:14:20 pm »
Pixelation's own CSS includes the necessary fix(es):
img.zoom
{
   image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges; /* Firefox */
   image-rendering: optimizeSpeed; /* Webkit */
   image-rendering: -o-crisp-edges; /* Opera */
   -ms-interpolation-mode: nearest-neighbor; /* IE */
}

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
« Reply #2337 on: June 17, 2012, 03:40:40 am »
trying to raise some money for a camcorder:
http://www.indiegogo.com/meltingmind?a=703840
figure I'd hit this place up since it's the best creative outlet I know and there might be better support here than other places.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #2338 on: June 17, 2012, 10:34:54 am »
Good luck with reaching the sum. Is getting a job in the field out of the question? You're a wonderful pixel artist.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
« Reply #2339 on: June 17, 2012, 04:45:39 pm »
thanks, i've been trying to do freelance, but it's been hard for me to stay motivated. I want to try and do more outside my apartment and tie my interest in observation of detail beyond just looking at a screen- to kind of capture real-life stuff rather than just repeat cycles of thought inside my own head.. to put it simply I guess. :\

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #2340 on: June 17, 2012, 06:47:23 pm »
I understand. Perhaps you'll make the money this way. But if not, holding a job to make the necessary money to live is what most people do. If you can't get yourself to be motivated to basically provide for yourself, then there are larger issues at hand than a camcoder.

Offline Cyangmou

• View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: June 18, 2012, 10:56:21 pm »
"Today I had lunch with the Goddess, 'Steinman,' she said... 'I'm here to free you from the tyranny of the commonplace. I'm here to show you a new kind of beauty.' I asked her, 'What do you mean, goddess?'
'Symmetry, dear Steinman. It's time we did something about symmetry...'" ~Bioshock

Offline blumunkee

• We glub but glob.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage of P. K. Mays
« Reply #2342 on: June 20, 2012, 05:51:59 am »
Well, Prometheus sure was disappointing.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #2343 on: June 20, 2012, 11:58:05 pm »
So many plot-holes, yes. Bad pace. Good acting! Could have been so much better.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #2344 on: June 21, 2012, 02:33:38 am »
Prometheus was dumbfounding. Really disappointed. How do these major productions fall victim to these things? I was SO looking forward to it, too. Many gripes.
There were some gems, though. I LOVED the Space Jockey scene - when the Giger-inspired machine emerged from the ground and the engineer climbed into it. That was cool! Nostalgic, yet new.
As for Prometheus being bad a subjective thing, here's some pretty objective points to read - Just 5 little things.

And here's a little something I just found today. Where else am I going to link it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #2345 on: June 21, 2012, 10:52:11 am »
How can plot holes not bother people? Oh well.

Offline Conceit

• Camus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: June 21, 2012, 07:39:44 pm »
I know we kinda moved off the prometheus topic...but I still wanted to make a little post :p

I still havent watched it, but his is so seminal that I will even if it sucks if only to watch it crash. Much like what Metal Gear Solid 4 was for me personally (I wouldnt compare the scale of the franchises, just that I was a big MGS4 fan :P)

https://kbco.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/prometheus-no-spoilers-though/ I read this, and it says to not expect answers, to not expect terror.

From Pixelation, I gather I can also expect plotholes, bad pace and some good acting :p. I've heard it removes (whatever little was left) of the mysticism from the Xenomorphs, is this true?

I also stumbled into an interview where Ridley allegedly "explains it" I wonder if it's satisfying for someone who saw it...
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ridley-scott-prometheus-interview/8232

I've managed to be spoiler free so far, so if anybody can tell me some more things I can expect to suck without singling out the elements I'd apreciate it, so I can become as disappointed as posible before I enter the theater, and I get to enjoy the visuals atleast as much as one could.

Offline Friend

• View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: June 21, 2012, 09:55:34 pm »
Since drawing with colors just overloads me and gets me more concerned with the colors instead of actual pixeling and drawing, is it ok to just draw everything in greyscale first? 

And if so, is it ok to use a 16 color palette which is evenly divided in value, like so? 

And if so, how does one go about coloring a greyscale image, or devising a coordinated palette from a greyscale piece?

Offline Tourist

• View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: June 22, 2012, 01:53:39 am »
Of course it's ok.  Grayscale is fine.  You might try fewer colors though.  Maybe 6 or so to start.  Practicing Line art or complete forms is fine. 
If you are new to pixels, the noobtorials at PixelJoint are useful: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5692

Hope this helps.

But off topic, this week was adventures in digging. 

There is a tree stump in my yard.  So I go to dig it out.  Only it's not a tree stump exactly.  Two feet down and there's no roots so far, just trunk.  Like the previous owner buried a tree halfway and then just chopped off the top half at the new ground level.  Why????  This thing could go down six feet or more.  Well, ok, I can just cover the top with brickwork.

Digging adventure #2 was the anvil.  Yep, my house came with an anvil.  An I-beam really, about 1 foot long and 6 inches in either direction.  Welded to a short post that is stuck in a large post that is stuck in the ground.  The whole thing comes up to your waist.  The anvil part is heavy, gotta be 60 pounds or so (25+ kg) but it comes off and I can carry it.  The large post goes down to the ground, embedded in concrete.  No problem, I can just dig it out, right?

An hour later, I've got a hole a yard deep (1 m).  I've had to dig a hole to stand in just so I can dig down further.  The post keeps going, and doesn't even wiggle when I tug on it.  On the one hand, it's kind of amazing how much dirt one person can move in an hour.  On the other, I'll never be a gravedigger because I'm too much of a wimp.  And the post still mocks me.  I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Anyone have a use for a heavy chunk of steel I-beam?

Tourist

Offline blumunkee

• We glub but glob.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage of P. K. Mays
« Reply #2349 on: June 22, 2012, 05:34:24 am »
I've managed to be spoiler free so far, so if anybody can tell me some more things I can expect to suck without singling out the elements I'd apreciate it, so I can become as disappointed as posible before I enter the theater, and I get to enjoy the visuals atleast as much as one could.

The biggest problem is that the movie was coauthored by Damon Lindelof. The same gripes that Lost fans have with the writing to Lost, Alien fans will have with the writing to Prometheus.

Plots sprout out and are never resolved, or are promptly resolved without any emotional resonance. Characters are one-dimensional and their actions are idiotic. Personalities never emerge. No one is likable. Something is very wrong when an android is the most fleshed out and believable character in a movie. The movie wasn't character based like it's predecessors. People only exist to move the plot along.

Really, this movie was sabotaged by a bad screenplay. As Helm said, the actors did great. Ridley Scott is one of the better directors alive today. The production was top notch, but you can't polish a turd.