Author Topic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 315216 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile
Re: Official Off-Topic Thread
« Reply #850 on: June 04, 2009, 10:14:15 pm »
That sounds alot like campers in Halo 3. All I want to do is take a rocket launcher or several stickys to them. I die before anything happens though. When people are of that mindset it doesn't matter what crutch they think they have to use to help them "win" the game. There is no convincing or surprising them. They just think they're good because they "win" all the time. The real winners are those that are successful and conquer the game as it was intended. Everyone else just sucks and found a shortcut. I suck, but at least I try to win the good way. All I try to do is at least score once. Then I can get blown apart and die for the rest of the game. The reason is when I kill you, and I suck, it doesn't matter how many kills you had before hand. It mean's yoru straight back to zero and have to kill me again. Otherwise your gonna let a sucky player beat you. And ya, some of them do play like that. That's why I like playing with "real" players.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #851 on: June 04, 2009, 10:40:27 pm »
Yes pretty much all I can say is play L4D with friends only, Rox. It's not that difficult to find 3 buddies online to play if you've been networking even a little over in publics for a while. One tends to create a userlist of sane, friendly people pretty fast.

I am not saying LOL GET FRIENDS LOL to insult you. Just letting you know that whatever game L4D2 turns out to be, it will not be griefer-proof and you'll still be getting killed by people not respecting your time in the game. Co-op games need friends, not randomers.

Offline ptoing

• Administrator
  • variegated quadrangle arranger
    • View Profile
    • ptoing bloing
« Reply #852 on: June 04, 2009, 10:52:29 pm »
Co-op games need friends, not randomers.

Quoted for emphasis!

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline tocky

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #853 on: June 05, 2009, 04:03:30 am »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 05, 2009, 04:27:17 am »
Normally I'm of the "pay for what's in the box" mentality, but Valve promised to offer bug and content updates for L4D, referencing the support they've given to TF2. I hope they don't consider the one tiny level they recently released to be a fulfillment of that promise, especially considering the extensive updates they've given to TF2. As long as they continue to fix bugs and maybe add a campaign for L4D, I don't care what they do with the sequel. Make it a "horror" game in broad daylight with frying pans and fiddle music for all I care... oh wait.
Sadly, I don't see much reason for them to expand on the original after the sequel is released(or even prior), as it would be counter-productive.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #855 on: June 05, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »
Co-op games need friends, not randomers.

Quoted for emphasis!

Co-op fps with friends is the crown jewel of computer gaming. Screw everything  else. Even Tetris.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was awesome because you HAD to co-op with randomers if you wished to get any points and upgrade yourself. Lonely wolves found themselves being not only lonely but very low level after a couple of maps.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #856 on: June 05, 2009, 07:54:03 pm »
HI JJNAAS I FIXED YOUR AVATAR

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #857 on: June 05, 2009, 08:33:43 pm »

That's awesome. The least I can do is return the favor:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #858 on: June 05, 2009, 09:00:09 pm »
teehee  :crazy:

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
« Reply #859 on: June 06, 2009, 02:12:44 am »
This Pocket Retro Emulator looks awesome, one of my friends is getting one and if the buttons have a nice feel I'll be getting one too.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 06, 2009, 02:42:54 am »
Square design is so meh... it's the main reason I can't play my DS for more than half an hour -- cramps the hell out of my hand. Also, just be wary. You might want try to find an in-depth review that checks out compatibility and such.

Also, pity it doesn't support GB. I'm curious how they handle the many different resolutions, though. Should post your personal experience with it when you try it out, though.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
« Reply #861 on: June 06, 2009, 02:52:08 am »
I have no problem with the shape, I've been wanting a GBmicro but this will be much better (hopefully)
And will do.

Offline Gil

• Gotta love me
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #862 on: June 06, 2009, 03:02:43 am »
Hold off on buying that thing. It's actually just a black Dingoo A320, which is a chinese handheld with emulators preloaded. There are huge problems with it right now, but the user community is kinda growing, so it might turn out okay. Not the moment to buy it yet though.

SNES emulation is pretty awful for starters and "pressing Y and B at the same time doesn't work, we call this a feature"

So yeah, some great guy is porting Linux and it promises to be excellent to fix the awful standard emulators and such, but it's still miles away. Right now he's got the kernel loading and if you're a decent linux guy, you can get some games ported on it already, but it's going to take a while to get it working on all the different hardware versions.

I'm rambling. Point is, it's not good... yet.

I'm going to buy one though, once it matures a bit and still exists.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
« Reply #863 on: June 06, 2009, 03:31:20 am »
Aw that's a bummer, I checked out some reviews for the A320, and the buttons sound good though.
It looks like it has the power for the emulators to run at full speed, they were just rush jobs, once the community comes out with a nice snes emu I'll be buying I think
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:38:01 am by .TakaM »

Offline ndchristie

• Unicorn Rainbow Sunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 06, 2009, 03:21:47 pm »
This message is to honor those men who gave their lives on June 6, 1944.
a message c'est honor l hommes qui donn eux vit one Juin 6, 1944.
Dit bericht moet die mensen eren die hun leven op 6 Juni, 1944 gaven.
Ten przekaz jest wobec honor w mężczyźni ktry dał ich żyje u Czerwiec 6, 1944.
Tato poselstvi a k ctt those clovek kdo kladvko jejich dobytek dle Červen 6, 1944.
Nyt kuluva asia on jotta kunnioittaa ne ihmiset joka kimmoisuus heidn model after Keskuu 6, 1944.
μήνυμα σε τιμή εκείνοι άντρεs ποιόs έδωσα δικό τουs ζωέs επάνω Ιούνιοs 6, 1944.

I apologize, I only speak English, Spanish and Italian, and so can only hope that the translations are correct.  Moderators please make spelling changes if necessary.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:26:45 pm by ndchristie »

Offline Gil

• Gotta love me
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #865 on: June 06, 2009, 03:49:06 pm »
Aw that's a bummer, I checked out some reviews for the A320, and the buttons sound good though.
It looks like it has the power for the emulators to run at full speed, they were just rush jobs, once the community comes out with a nice snes emu I'll be buying I think

Apparently the look, feel and insides of the hardware are perfect, so yeah, here's hoping the userbase gets it fixed up good. I want one.

Online Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • View Profile
    • lolipopsicle
« Reply #866 on: June 07, 2009, 01:19:38 am »
I flipped a page from my sketchbook today to find what I've been suspecting - that my drawings slant. It looks like someone stretches the top right corner of some drawings up. Here you can see it on some of the faces, specifically the portrait, armored goblin, and bald dude. It's flipped so I could see it.

It's kind of embarrassing to think that I've been oblivious to what must be obvious to most people.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 07, 2009, 02:43:11 am »
It isn't terribly obvious to me. If you hadn't pointed it out I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Actually. I just flipped it again and it looked way more skewed. Very weird...
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #868 on: June 07, 2009, 04:19:42 am »
Atnas most artists I know naturally tend to draw with a slant. It's something that always must be fought against but the fact that you are able to recognize it is a good thing.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 07, 2009, 04:23:00 am »
Aren't most artists oblivious to the flaws in their own pieces, hence why external critique is such a good thing? I don't see what's embarrassing about that :)

Online Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • View Profile
    • lolipopsicle
« Reply #870 on: June 07, 2009, 01:30:14 pm »
Thanks guys. :3 I'm really glad I realized this, it is a good thing.

Offline Jad

• -But a miserable pile of pixels!
    • View Profile
    • bomb boy dot se
« Reply #871 on: June 07, 2009, 08:03:58 pm »
You are not alone!111111 My drawings slant so much it's not even remotely fun! Goddamnit. Sadness. Drawing things like faces from the front is more or less impossible for me, it just seems to be embedded in my pen/cil strokes or something! It's horrible.
:]

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 07, 2009, 11:38:26 pm »
Anyone seen the new trailer for Brutal Legend? It's Tim Schaefer's(DOTT, Full Throttle, Psychonauts, and more) new game and it looks pretty hilarious. I'm not a big fan of Jack Black or Heavy Metal so I wasn't sure what to think of this, but the new trailer won me over. I had a look through a gameplay video, and although it looks a bit underwhelming, I've found I can count on the story/humour/characters of a Tim Schaefer game to carry me through any lackluster gameplay issues. Hopefully it ends up on Steam at some point at a similar price point as Psychonauts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5sa2KLpW84

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 09, 2009, 12:00:46 pm »
flixel, AdamAtomic's actionscript library has been released, along with a new game Mode.

My highscore is 6050. It beat me down bad.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Shrike

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 09, 2009, 04:42:16 pm »
I slant alllll the time.  Actually, what I usually do (which is probably bad) is I unconsciously tilt my drawing surface so it straightens out.  Also I have a crooked personality  ;D :D :-X
lol @ jjnaas and helm.  That would be a good activity.  And JJNaas' av was bugging me, I like helms edit.  And I like teh noms.

Shrike

Offline ndchristie

• Unicorn Rainbow Sunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: June 10, 2009, 03:32:19 am »
I tilt more than I slant.  When the page is rotated counter-clockwise (about 5-10 degrees usually), things are generally in OK proportion.  It's a similar problem though and hell when working in a frame...

in my sketchbook things like buildings and characters (anything which needs to hit the ground solid) almost always have a cross added after the initial sketching that shows the drawing's orientation (usually like i said a few degrees behind the page).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:34:28 am by ndchristie »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
« Reply #876 on: June 10, 2009, 06:43:23 am »

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 10, 2009, 08:30:57 am »
Yay!!!!! We're watching Futurama series third time with my wife at the moment, so this is happy news :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:26:06 am by ter-o »
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline Panda

• Administrator
  • 威風堂々
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 10, 2009, 08:32:56 am »
Awesome  ;D
I hope it is as good as it used to be.
The movies were fine, but I guess the format wasn't the best for Futurama.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
« Reply #879 on: June 10, 2009, 10:08:51 am »
Yeah, the movies weren't quite as good as the show, I think it mainly came down to the format, but it seemed like they were testing the market and I have no problem supporting them.

Hopefully this time the show sticks.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 16, 2009, 06:28:05 pm »
I figured it's about time I took a real initiative to improve my drawing skills, and I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows any good resources online or offline. My skills right now aren't completely non-existant, but I don't quite know if there's somewhere preferable I should start. I dunno, general advice always help, so if anyone got any ideas, I'm all ears.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 17, 2009, 07:34:30 pm »
I'm not sure of your age, but to start off try "Fun With a Pencil" by Andrew Loomis. You can't find it in stores, but there's a billion people hosting it and his other books online now. FWAP is Loomis' first book and doesn't go into much detail on correct human anatomy and the stuff comes across as pretty cartoony. The point of the book is to get you thinking of the body as 3d dimensional shapes. My first time through I sort of glanced at a couple pages, drew some stuff and then headed onto the next book because it had all the anatomy stuff I wanted. I only realised recently that I really missed the point and I've since gone back to FWAP. There's probably some good info to be found in the Official Anatomy thread so have a look there if you haven't.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 17, 2009, 08:22:51 pm »
I'm 22, I'll check out the book if I can find it. I've been trying before to study anatomy and drawing it, but I believe I could benefit more from it if I knew more "basic techniques", sorta (Guess I'm a bit afraid of starting in the wrong place). So yeah, starting from the bottom and going up. I lurk alot and read all new threads and replies, so I'm familiar with that thread, it's a good one :)

Online Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • View Profile
    • lolipopsicle
« Reply #883 on: June 18, 2009, 12:04:38 am »

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #884 on: June 18, 2009, 05:50:42 pm »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • View Profile
    • wvo8ovw
« Reply #885 on: June 18, 2009, 08:46:28 pm »
Going to be heading out for a while probably. I'm going to miss you guys. Keep pixelling!
-upsdn-

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:27 pm »
I'm 22, I'll check out the book if I can find it. I've been trying before to study anatomy and drawing it, but I believe I could benefit more from it if I knew more "basic techniques", sorta (Guess I'm a bit afraid of starting in the wrong place). So yeah, starting from the bottom and going up. I lurk alot and read all new threads and replies, so I'm familiar with that thread, it's a good one :)
Cool, I'm the same age. I've had the same desire since last summer to really learn the basics, so I've kinda shelved the pixels and been concentrating on my pencils. The Loomis series is really great for that and I enjoy them a lot. If you aren't already checking it out, conceptart.org has a fantastic atmosphere for artists looking to improve. If you want to PM me your email I'll send you some links to art threads and articles I've found interesting. It's got some book recommendations as well.

Offline blumunkee

• We glub but glob.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage of P. K. Mays
« Reply #887 on: June 19, 2009, 07:43:46 am »
http://gamu-toys.info/sonota/sw/obama/obama.html

Damnit, where's the :headexplode: smiley?
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.

Online Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • View Profile
    • lolipopsicle
« Reply #888 on: June 19, 2009, 12:42:39 pm »
:0#

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #889 on: June 19, 2009, 01:07:25 pm »
http://gamu-toys.info/sonota/sw/obama/obama.html

Damnit, where's the :headexplode: smiley?

Nevermind that, where's the Dick Cheney figure with the spring-loaded gun that fires real birdshot, and the Guantanimo Bay Action Playset?
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Carl Douglas
« Reply #890 on: June 19, 2009, 03:24:41 pm »
Ahahaha just came across this.

Garfield Minus Garfield

Garfield Minus Garfield is a site dedicated to removing Garfield from the Garfield comic strips in order to reveal the existential angst of a certain young Mr. Jon Arbuckle. It is a journey deep into the mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb.

I have always found the Garfield comics pretty depressing but couldn't quite pinpoint the source directly at John.  This confirms it.  Garfield is just the fat lasagna fiending apparition that haunts his mind as reality.
Thanks Mush, adcrusher524, Ego, and iLKke!

Offline big brother

• http://www.ifs-art.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #891 on: June 19, 2009, 04:17:53 pm »
Garfield Minus Garfield is almost as telling as the Nietzsche Family Circus:

http://www.losanjealous.com/nfc/

Enjoy!

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 19, 2009, 11:04:50 pm »
Cool, I'm the same age. I've had the same desire since last summer to really learn the basics, so I've kinda shelved the pixels and been concentrating on my pencils. The Loomis series is really great for that and I enjoy them a lot. If you aren't already checking it out, conceptart.org has a fantastic atmosphere for artists looking to improve. If you want to PM me your email I'll send you some links to art threads and articles I've found interesting. It's got some book recommendations as well.

Long time reader at Conceptart.org, it's an amazing site filled with not only skilled people, but nice people too. If you have time to email me those links that'd be fantastic, I'll send you my email.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
« Reply #893 on: June 22, 2009, 04:35:56 pm »
Neat app for changing your Windows bootscreen

XP only allows for a 16 colour 640x480 image, so it's a good opportunity to display some pixel art
Pretty simple too, all I did was paste my image over C:\Program Files\Stardock\WinCustomize\BootSkin\skins\TimeWarp\warp.bmp, run the app and select the warp theme.
You can create your own themes but that's the easy/lazy way to do it.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 22, 2009, 05:55:26 pm »
Sadly, it seems as though Windows will resize that image with bilinear filtering, which will just blur it. At least, that's what my windows logo looks like when my XP boots up.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
« Reply #895 on: June 22, 2009, 06:22:16 pm »
Is your image 640x480?
Mine isn't stretched or anything, and I'd assume if you used a smaller image it would just be given black borders.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net
« Reply #896 on: June 22, 2009, 10:13:08 pm »
I'm finally 18! Ahh, strong alchoholic beverages, drugs, drivers liscence. Thousands of new ways to potentially kill myself!

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 23, 2009, 02:32:21 am »
Happy birthday, Opacus!  You only get one more landmark age birthday in your life that gives you more 'liberties', then after that they're the stereotypical closer to death ones.  Enjoy!

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #898 on: June 23, 2009, 06:12:54 am »

That's awesome. The least I can do is return the favor:

These two made me laugh-snort-cry and should be immortalized somewhere. Also we finally have an Xbox360 of our own with GoW 1&2. Same username as here. Feel free to pwn me, but if my Su is playing too be sure to fall down and pretend she got you or she'll stop playing with me, and whatever you do don't run away - or move around much, she still gets dizzy watching FPS games. >_<

Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Opacus - but what landmark birthday comes after 18 with more liberties when he's already got booze & cars? A mid-life crisis one someplace?
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 23, 2009, 06:25:46 am »
Well I suppose it only applies as an American, when they let you accrue your very own alcohol legally at 21.