Author Topic: [G.D] What are you musical tastes and favourite bands?  (Read 19294 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • View Profile
    • lolipopsicle
Re: [G.D] What are you musical tastes and favourite bands?
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2008, 08:11:55 pm »
The Pillows

Muse

The Sound of Animals Fighting (and basically anything with Anthony Green in it.)

Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer

I listen to Kohina Radio for my chiptune fix. Game music remixes and and bands like Megadriver. <3

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 06:02:05 am »
Upon review of Xelandos Nafshir's posts I have come to the conclusion that he is a robot.
...really though, do you actually think you'd be ridiculed for video game music on a pixel art forum?

My current #1 favourite band is MGMT. I'm also diggin' Justice.

Various other favourites include:
Lupe Fiasco
Jimi Hendrix
The Strokes
The White Stripes
Interpol
Led Zeppelin
N.E.R.D.
Gorillaz
Muse
The Hives
The Flaming Lips
Kings Of Leon
Daft Punk

and so on and so forth.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2008, 02:22:36 pm »
do you actually think you'd be ridiculed for video game music on a pixel art forum?

People will ridicule anything if they think they can get away with it. Thankfully, a person doesn't get away with it very often without bringing negative attention to themselves. Sharing personal information is even worse.

Actually, if you had just posted the game music instead of saying you're afraid to get ridiculed, you would have been less ridiculed then you are now.

Offline Willows

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2008, 02:25:18 pm »
Crab2selout already admitted he listens to Celine Dion elsewhere in these forums, an' I'm pretty sure you can't go much worse than that D:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2008, 05:07:16 pm »
People will ridicule anything if they think they can get away with it. Thankfully, a person doesn't get away with it very often without bringing negative attention to themselves. Sharing personal information is even worse.

everyone is entitled to their own musical preferences, seems a little immature to not post because your afraid of possible confrontation.  Plus you bring a lot of negative attention to yourself.

now please don't derail this anymore.

I started listening to a guy called Cas Haley, who was on America's Got Talent.  check it out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yuqjYeXBLJE

better than sting imo.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 05:03:33 am »
I got back from paganfest last night, and i'm still hurting from it.

The bands that played were all completely awesome.
VIKING METAL!

The opening act Was ELUVEITIE (say it - EL-OH-VAY-TEE):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtdvoKpLevc
Let it be known that they have the goddamn craziest flute player of al time. Everybody in this band is at least 6 feet tall. Even the chick.

Coming directly after them, The more more melodic TYR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97lxvrKC-nI (Orumun Langi. It's in faroese so don't try to understand it.)
Now everybody in tTHIS band was like Nine feet tall. I exaggerate but they're some huge dudes and would NOT want to have to meet them in a back alley. Anyone who says these guys suck should probably just go jump off a cliff.

Third in the lineup was TURISAS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrQxr-8neyo (BATTLE METAL!)
These guys stole the entire show. The frontman is a real enterainer, and they know how to get the crowd to move.
Plus to go up on stage in war paint and leather and fur armor which is ten kinds of awesome.
Unlike the previous two bands these folks were actually kind of tiny and it was great.

THe Headlining act - ENSIFERUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs8giIGt1jE
At this point i was pretty well smashed. NOt alcohol, but after three hours of vikings smashing your face in, ensiferum was almost too much for me.
Back with the giant norsemen. The lead singer, i swear does not age. he looked like an overgrown 15 year old boy.

I still hurt from the experience. I did get to see some pretentious scenester type kid git his ass beat by a bunch of beardly monsters in a mosh pit that had formed. Sorry, but you don't try to be fashionable in an environment that is populated by overweight muscleheads with a norse fixation. you're pretty much asking to be tossed unceremoniously about, and you ESPECIALLY don't try to do the OMG HARDK0R3" bullshit dnacing when everyone is out for blood. it's just foolish. But he got what he had comin'.

I just listened to the self-titled Woven Hand today. Pretty cool stuff!
Good to know at least somebody is listening to my prattling on :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:05:12 am by Corsair »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 10:09:34 am »
well, once I've used to be really orthodox when it came to music in general and my musical tastes were well-established. this was when I was listening to Heavy Metal. however, it became boring. then I went through pretty much everything, broadening my musical tastes to be large in scope. I ain't restricting myself to any particular genre.

anyway, now I'm reviving my old memories with The Crystal Method. also recently, I got enchanted by some light chilling rock in the form of MGMT -- yes, it's *just* indie, but those guys are good.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • View Profile
    • lolipopsicle
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 07:51:37 pm »
I heard The Offspring on the radio today in my art class, and almost punctured the eye on my sculpture because they've got a new song out. A few years ago they were all I would listen to.  ::)

Album comes out on June 17th!

www.offspring.com - you can download one of their new songs, Hammerhead.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 02:01:34 am »
I find good things in all music. Unfortunately, I cant have all music. I have Ben Folds playing right now.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 02:50:09 am »
I like a lot of different, weird music.

BOREDOMS -- A marvelous fusion of tribal drumming and sounds that you'd swear were made by an alien spacecraft traveling through the minds of the gods.  "Super Going" from the album "Super ae" is a great song to check out, as is the entirety of the album "Vision Creation Newsun"

the rest are in no particular order

GREAT LAKE SWIMMERS -- Thoughtful songs sung by a haunting voice with a backing band of folk musicians.  Their albums are recorded in resonant natural spaces, such as a grain silo or an old town hall, creating a rich atmosphere.  The songs are all great, with masterful lyrics.

PANDA BEAR -- His "Person Pitch" album is like a lesson in chilling out.  A great example of how to use samples so that the end result doesn't sound too sampled.  And his heavily reverb'd and multi-tracked beach-boys-esque voice adds to the chill-factor.

YES -- Some of their songs are pretty cheesy but on the whole Yes is a group of remarkable musicians.  The compositions are all multi-layered, richly detailed and completely engrossing.  Great music to get lost in.

CHRISTOPHER WILLITS -- Collages of sound are made by Willits by slicing up guitar tracks and re-arranging them into sparkling melodies in which the clips of sound where the tracks are cut become tiny flecks of rhythmic percussion.  Then he layers on breathy vocals with electric harmonies, smooth syrupy horns and tight drumming to create music that is sugary like candy or silky like milk.

ERIC WHITACRE -- Speaking of electric harmonies, if you want to see Jesus's eyes, go listen to "Lux Aurumque" from the "Cloudburst" album.  So many notes are stacked on top of one another in Whitacre's a cappela choral works that each note blends into the next until it is like the sonic equivalent of a sunbeam that can be split into a spectrum of colors.  So amazing are these chords that they are commonly referred to as "Whitacre chords".

VALGEIR SIGURDSSON -- Bjork's producer has an album out called "Ekvilibrium" and on it is some amazing music.  "Focal Point" has sounds that almost remind you of something you heard once, but most of them sound like the sonic discharges of a machine made out of glass and polished marble.  "Equilibrium is Restored", which puts the listener into an immediate state of calm, sounds like a children's toy falling down a set of stairs in an underwater house.  "Before Nine" includes some of the most heart-wrenching cello music imaginable, and "Kin" makes you feel both intangible and infinite.

also

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
SHAKTI
THE ACORN
DEERHOOF
BORIS
BRIAN ENO
SIGUR ROS
MY BLOODY VALENTINE
ELVIS COSTELLO
STEVE REICH
THE HARVEY GIRLS
MAPS AND ATLASES
THE PAT METHENY GROUP

Offline chriskot

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2008, 02:58:59 am »
Upon review of Xelandos Nafshir's posts I have come to the conclusion that he is a robot.

You beat me to it.

I started listening to a guy called Cas Haley, who was on America's Got Talent.  check it out:

better than sting imo.

"America's Got Talent" was probably the only sort of reality/stage performance/audition show I ever actually bothered watching, and yes, Cas Haley is awesome. Although that ventriloquist still deserved to win.

I heard The Offspring on the radio today in my art class, and almost punctured the eye on my sculpture because they've got a new song out. A few years ago they were all I would listen to.  ::)

I never really payed much attention to them back when they were really big, but one of my favourite radio stations started playing the Offspring on a regular basis a little while ago (mostly "Come Out and Play") and I'm starting to wonder why I didn't listen to them more before.

Does anyone here listen to Focus? They're pretty awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

Offline Willows

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2008, 04:23:07 am »

You beat me to it.

better than sting imo.

"America's Got Talent" was probably the only sort of reality/stage performance/audition show I ever actually bothered watching, and yes, Cas Haley is awesome. Although that ventriloquist still deserved to win.

I never really payed much attention to them back when they were really big, but one of my favourite radio stations started playing the Offspring on a regular basis a little while ago (mostly "Come Out and Play") and I'm starting to wonder why I didn't listen to them more before.

Does anyone here listen to Focus? They're pretty awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

Neck beard + yodeling + kickass music. Not to mention the bizarre facial expressions, that link was very worth the click.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2008, 12:13:12 pm »
Recently started listening to Tool. Me like.
Try A Perfect Circle. Same lead singer, but I like them more. Except their latest album sucked really bad.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Elwin

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2008, 05:20:30 pm »
Try A Perfect Circle. Same lead singer, but I like them more. Except their latest album sucked really bad.
A perfect circle owns ;D
When there is no more of art to discover, you know you're dead. And if you aren't, what the hell do you live for?

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 11:22:25 pm »
pop rock, old school rock and electro :

Muse
Radiohead
The Klaxons
The Doors
Franz Ferdinand
Kaiser Chiefs
Mazarin
Fratellis
The Killers
The Vines
The Prodigy
Aphex Twin
Amon Tobin

some cheap music too as 8bit Weapon, Mini Roc...

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2008, 01:51:22 pm »
Interesting, lots of people with similar music tastes as me here... 'specially the pillows.  :hehe:

Bands/Artists I Like: (the top four are my favorites, the rest are in no order)
The Dear Hunter
Kiss Kiss
Shoji Meguro
Porcupine Tree
System of a Down
Counting Crows
Mew
Metric
The Sound of Animals Fighting
Billy Talent
A Perfect Circle
Psapp
Coheed and Cambria
MUCC
The Detachment Kit
The Dresden Dolls
Super Furry Animals
Fair to Midland
Gosling/Loudermilk
Afterhours
Shiny Toy Guns
Incubus
Totimoshi
Shrift
Alice in Chains
dredg
Static of the Gods

Stuff I'm embarrassed to like (not linking to)
Any emo/screamo I listen to that's not on the above list: Chiodos, Royden
Any pop-punk I listen to: Cobra Starship, Panic at the Disco's old stuff, Cartel
Tiger Army
Coldplay
Smile Empty Soul

Offline Cow

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2008, 05:10:51 am »
Do tell what you thought of the stuff once you've let it sunk in.
Well, I listened to 82.2% of the Sieges Even album, it seems about as far as it's gonna get. :( Besides the jumpiness due to incompletion it's super, really inspiring stuff. Also I take back my comment regarding Spiral Architect's vocals, I was just being a dumbass. Fountainhead and Conjuring Collapse are the best.

Also I picked up a few others since my last post, Cynic, Demilich, Athiest, Gorguts, Wintersun, couple others.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2008, 01:03:16 pm »
Wintersun aren't up to the rest of that lineup you mentioned.

If you need the last two tracks of the Sieges Even record uploaded I can give them to you. It's a shame to not listen to 'Straggler from Atlantis' as it is probably the most epic and emotional track on the record. Yes, epic, emotional technothrash. Worth it.

Cynic are widely celebrated for 'Focus', and I like it alright too. Perhaps you'd do well to check out their demos too.
Demilich are godly.
Atheist, especially 'Unquestionable Presence' rip.
Gorguts, be sure to withstand the weirdness of 'Obscura', it's worth it.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2008, 01:45:53 pm »
Stuff I'm embarrassed to like (not linking to)
Any emo/screamo I listen to that's not on the above list: Chiodos, Royden
Any pop-punk I listen to: Cobra Starship, Panic at the Disco's old stuff, Cartel
Tiger Army
Coldplay
Smile Empty Soul

There is no shame in Coldplay. There's a handful of pop music that's well worth listening to and they lead the pack. ;D
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Cow

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2008, 06:21:26 pm »
Atheist, especially 'Unquestionable Presence' rip.
That seems to be the general consensus. I do love Elements lots, though.

Gorguts, be sure to withstand the weirdness of 'Obscura', it's worth it.
First album I heard from them actually. I'm already into that sort of thing but it's refreshing to hear it in a metal context.

Demilich are godly.
Yeah.

If you need the last two tracks of the Sieges Even record uploaded I can give them to you. It's a shame to not listen to 'Straggler from Atlantis' as it is probably the most epic and emotional track on the record. Yes, epic, emotional technothrash. Worth it.
That would be wonderful, if you could. <3

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • View Profile
    • lolipopsicle
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2008, 10:15:33 pm »
I forgot to mention Liquid Tension Experiment.  ::)

EDIT: Had a chance to listen to Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace by The Offspring. Some really great songs on there, especially "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid", "Hammerhead", "Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?", and "Shit is vucked Up" which are my favorites.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:44:28 pm by Atnas »

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2008, 04:50:46 pm »
I recently rediscovered the awesomeness that is gentle Giant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWfmfgHXAfE

check out the drummer's face!

also, hoory for insane keyboard players:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPaKxz4pII&NR=1

Offline Winston

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2008, 05:24:53 pm »
It's all about the indie music!
...and some not indie.
Top Bands

Islands
The unicorns
The cribs
Bloc Party
Weezer
Cake
Buckethead
Franz Ferdinand
Interpol
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tokyo Police Club
Vampire Weekend
The White Stripes
Whirlwind heat
The GO! Team
Sonic Youth

And some 8bit shit!
Virt
Pixel
It's time for racing car video games

Offline kitty

• LAUGH! :]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2008, 10:30:18 am »
The Beatles! :]
never pretend to be drunker than you really are

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2008, 10:28:13 am »
Been listening alot more to House and Electro recently.
Such as Justice, ze electro duo from France.
I recently saw em live aswell, they're really awesome.
Also been listening alot more Daft Punk lately.
I've actually been trying to make some House and Electro myself. And some things sound pretty alright if ye ask me. :D.

Offline Cow

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »
My playlist now is mostly Sigh (Imaginary Sonicscapes) and Holy Terror (Mind Wars, Terror and Submission). Also a lot of okay death metal like Pestilence, Bolt Thrower, etc. And I've been listening to Obscura lots and it gets better every listen. :hehe: Been hunting for more like it to no avail.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2008, 11:05:50 pm »
Excellent on Sigh and Holy Terror. Bolt Thrower are a lot more than just mediocre for me. They're one of the best. Pestilence are second-rate at best. I am glad to see your tastes grow in the right directions though. The esoteric Heavy Metal has much to offer you.

Offline AdamAtomic

• Administrator
  • natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2008, 11:32:03 pm »
I'm not a fan of "real music". That is, I hate the human voice as an instrument. Video game music is my thing. Not giving any specifics because I don't like being ridiculed.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6246.msg72893#msg72893

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2008, 11:39:16 pm »
Obscura ain't Gorguts' best album imo. they're probably the coolest thing to come out of quebec though. Luc Lemar's new band 'Negativa' is really bad also which I kind of expected.
artists im listening to right now are Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Allan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola, and George Duke.
it might be a one shot deal

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2008, 11:57:16 pm »
Negativa are pretty excellent. Obscura is better than 'From Wisdom to Hate' which is pretty great and quite better than the first two Roadrunner Generic Death Metal Also-rans. Naturally, the best thing out of Quebec was and forever will be, Voivod.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2008, 01:47:02 am »
alright. i don't listen to or like a lot of metal. i've seen voivod on much music and shit and didnt see what stood out aboot them.
i dont see how negativa has anything going for it without any memorable songs. the idea of them being avant-garde is laughable

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2008, 04:02:19 am »
If you don't listen to or like a lot of metal then I guess we won't speak the same language as I love Heavy Metal above almost all. It's certainly up there with cute kittens, barbarians and robots for me. It's understandable that you don't get Voivod, though, they're not an easy band to get. And Negativa, as well as Gorguts are not meant to be initially catchy so I don't know what you were searching for there. These things reward deeper listens.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2008, 03:49:45 pm »
a few bands i have been listening to lately:

Black Dahlia Murder
Winds of Plague
Pendulum
'300' Soundtrack
Atreyu
Abigail Williams
Botch

Offline Emtch

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2008, 07:19:44 pm »
Death Metal:
Hate eternal
Necrophagist
Cannibal Corpse
Entombed
Dying Fetus

Progressive metal:
Opeth
Meshuggah

Black metal:
Immortal
Satyricon
Emperor

Grindcore:
Nasum
Pig Destroyer
Rotten Sound

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2008, 07:49:31 pm »
a few bands i have been listening to lately:

Black Dahlia Murder
Winds of Plague
Pendulum
'300' Soundtrack
Atreyu
Abigail Williams
Botch

Pendulum wins. I saw em live not too long ago.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2008, 08:04:50 pm »
Yeah? I've been listening to them alot lately. I'd love to see them live.

Also listening to alot of Why?, who's awesome.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2008, 08:19:35 pm »
If you don't listen to or like a lot of metal then I guess we won't speak the same language as I love Heavy Metal above almost all. It's certainly up there with cute kittens, barbarians and robots for me. It's understandable that you don't get Voivod, though, they're not an easy band to get. And Negativa, as well as Gorguts are not meant to be initially catchy so I don't know what you were searching for there. These things reward deeper listens.
i liked and played technical death metal in high school and i dont think its fair to assume i dont "get" negativa just because i found it unenjoyable.
i think all music serves an important perpose because there's people who wanna hear that stuff. as for me i like orchestral music.

king diamond is probably my favourite heavy metal band though. the entertainment value of a 40 year old guy singing in falsetto aboot ghosts is immeasurable.

i also like that jingle bells parody aboot batman

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2008, 08:55:43 pm »
Yeah it's pretty clear for me that you and I won't understand each other if the way you enjoy King Diamond is through irony. Negativa aren't technical death metal so it's understandable that if you approach them from that point of view they will not deliver.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2008, 09:15:24 pm »
metal is the anime of music

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2008, 09:30:41 pm »
Talkin bout anime, I've been listening to the Bleach ost a bit.
When you watch it you often don't notice much of it, I never realised how good this soundtrack is.
I know probably 95% of you hate bleach, but that doesn't have to mean you'll find the music bad :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:56:58 pm by Opacus »

Offline ptoing

• Administrator
  • variegated quadrangle arranger
    • View Profile
    • ptoing bloing
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2008, 09:38:18 pm »

is that supposed to make any sense?  ???

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2008, 09:58:05 pm »

is that supposed to make any sense?  ???
you should be able to glean the subtle nuances of my post

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2008, 10:25:20 pm »
Yes Ptoing, it's so obvious. I thought you smarter then that.

( ???)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2008, 10:36:49 pm »
Whatever you say mister mister.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2008, 12:24:28 pm »

Yes.

My top 5 (in no particular order)

Tool
A Perfect Circle (check out the album "Thirteenth Step")
Modest Mouse
The Police
R.E.M.

as you can see I do not listen to any particular genre, but anything that sounds good I will listen to. :D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2008, 03:14:26 pm »
I guess I'll list mine, too, since I see these absent from the list (most of 'em, at least.)
Marvin Gaye -Beautiful Song. 'nuff said.
Barry White -This is, in my honest opinion, the best song ever recorded.
The Isley Brothers -I can't imagine how many of us were conceived to this song, but I guarantee my children will be.
Teddy Pendergrass -I played this at work once over the speaker system, since I always make mixes of great soul music to play at the restaurant I'm manager at, and I was shocked at the lyrics (I had just got the album that day) but I enjoyed it. Surprisingly, nobody asked me to turn it off.

Michael Jackson -If you don't like the "Thriller" album, you must be deaf. Actually, even deaf people could enjoy Michael Jackson, so you must just not like good music.

GZA -NSFW. The Wu-Tang only managed to record one decent album (36 Chambers), and to be honest, I prefer GZA's album "Liquid Swords." The whole album is solid, and eventually led me to see the movie "Shogun Assassin." See that movie. See it.
Kool Keith -NSFW, but I recommend listening to this album at some point, if not for the great rapping, simply for the fact that Kool Keith is the most outrageous rapper ever. If you don't believe me, check out the lyrics: Once again, NSFW
Clipse -Also NSFW. I don't listen to mainstream rap that much, but I couldn't pass up Clipse. They didn't achieve much commercial success, but I think they're the best rap group ever. You'd think that hearing songs about selling cocaine, wearing cool shoes, and drinking kool-aid would get old, but they dont.
Lil Wayne -NSFW. I think that if Lil Wayne sat in a recording booth for a year, and recorded twenty songs every day, maybe 10 of them in total would be decent. Lil Wayne is really the only mainstream rapper that I listen to. If you want to listen to Lil Wayne, I only reccomend getting The Drought 3 (a mixtape, free online) and The Carter III (His newest album, surprisingly decent. Check out "A Millie" if you have subs.)
A Tribe Called Quest -NSFW. Awesome album, awesome song. I still haven't figured out why Q-tip decided to just repeat his first verse instead of making a second one, but whatever. Still a great song, and a great message.

The Presidents of the United States of America -I'm sure you've all heard this song. This whole album (self-titled) is amazing, seriously. If you like this song, I recommend getting the entire album, it's just as good.
Primus -Oh jeez, Primus. This is one of my favorite songs by them. In middle school, I bought all of their albums, and I love every one. As far as I remember this is SFW, but if you don't wanna risk it, I'd wait, because I'm not 100% on that. Oh, and there will never be a better bassist than Les Claypool.

El Guincho -I'm not a big fan of any Indie music, but El Guincho is awesome. My friend, who likes Animal Collective, and Sonic Youth, and basically anyone who performed at the Pitchfork Music Festival, described El Guinch is the spanish Animal Collective. I think this is just one guy who has random Latin percussion instruments and a sampler, and manages to make albums. It's relaxing to listen to.

That's about all I can think of. I'll edit accordingly, but whatever.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • View Profile
    • lolipopsicle
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2008, 03:17:52 pm »
I just finished listening to Clawjob's Space Crackers. It was wonderful. :) I recommend it to everyone who loves a good rock opera. And everyone who likes the guttural chanting of flesh devouring aliens backed up by high velocity metal~  :hehe:

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2008, 06:22:41 pm »
I was recently exposed to Strapping young lad and various devin townsend solo projects.
I have to say, the skulleted crusader is my personal hero for life.

This, in particular stood way the hell out in the awesomeness department.

go buy this fucking album. right now. I really cannot stress how awesome it is.

"You have not CONVINCED mighty ziltoid! i am SO omniscient...that i there were TWO omniscienes, i would be BOTH."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i1Jk98wYE8

Anyone else think mr townsend looks a bit like benjamin franklin?

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2008, 08:16:38 pm »
I thought Ziltoid was alright but I haven't really liked Devin Townsend since I was 15..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2008, 11:40:40 pm »
And how old are you now mister mister?