Author Topic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 272027 times)

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile
Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2
« Reply #1500 on: October 23, 2011, 05:24:56 pm »
Some of the album arts for my upcoming and released albums!

http://www.facebook.com/sebastianbrkic
Check out my music there or at iTunes or Spotify just search of Sebastian Brkic if you're interested.

But yeah, here are the album arts :). Tell me what you think!

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1501 on: November 02, 2011, 05:40:02 am »
It still grows . . .

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:00:14 am by Mathias »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
« Reply #1502 on: November 02, 2011, 06:43:09 am »
Giger's dinner plate?

Offline Jeremy

• HAIL⚝SATAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 02, 2011, 09:58:00 am »
gross :crazy:

Lovely wet effect, the creature is actually my least favourite bit. I know it's the light source, but it seems almost pillowy.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 02, 2011, 10:10:17 pm »
It still grows . . .

Looks like a 'lil baby Evolution Chamber. Kinda!

Regardless, it's CUTE!

Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Carl Douglas
« Reply #1505 on: November 08, 2011, 12:15:43 am »
Haha, Mathias - love it. Giger's Dinner plate comment gets an invisible upvote.

Been working on a site revamp off and on forever. Made a big push toward it this week, and a pal who is much better suited to the task will be coding things together based off the PSDs with a custom CMS in the coming weeks.  I think it will be the first time in 2 years that my webspace was used for something other than hosting my email and having a lazy linkback image host for my client needs.

Made these characters for it for use with the header (top dinosaur) and the rest of them for random selection on the footer at each pageload for where a twitter feed snippet will display as a speech bubble coming out of whichever one comes up.

Sorry, not pixel art, but I'm faster in other mediums and this site has been dragging ass for long enough :P

Thanks Mush, adcrusher524, Ego, and iLKke!

Offline big brother

• http://www.ifs-art.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #1506 on: November 08, 2011, 01:00:08 am »
Good to know I'm not the only dinosaur that pixels.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1507 on: November 08, 2011, 12:32:53 pm »
Aha site redesign! And you updated your branding. Funny, I just sat down today to do the exact same thing today. Been a long time coming. I like the new site design. And I see you took it upon yourself to accurately translate the verbose filler latin. That's . . . great.

Jeremy, I know what you mean about pillowy, the perspective is supposed to be from a camera poking into the egg which is shining the light, probably a bad idea to begin with. That's a neat iconic poster. Bugs me a little the two pyramids are offset from each other a bit; unnecessarily complicates it.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 13, 2011, 07:37:43 pm »

some recent stuff from AP art. the oil painting sold at an art show and won people's choice award (which also had a cash prize) in said show!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:53:16 pm by Dex »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: November 20, 2011, 09:20:06 am »
Quick landscape, around 40 mins:

It's the first landscape I've done in a while, still very rough around the edges. Used Corel Painter, fine point pen tool. May refine later.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:24:45 am by pistachio »

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1510 on: November 21, 2011, 03:52:43 am »
Nice stuff Dex. Hehe it's funny how much that landscape reminds me of your pixelled landscapes. Very similar techniques going on.

Pistachio, 40min really? That looks like 4min. I can barely tell it's a landscape at the moment. Take a 1px pencil to that!

Offline huZba

• View Profile
    • smupship
« Reply #1511 on: November 27, 2011, 04:02:18 pm »
I decided to draw one Dark Souls character on this piece for each 10 deaths. Now at a point where I'm not sure when it should be called done.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1512 on: November 27, 2011, 11:26:03 pm »
I decided to draw one Dark Souls character on this piece for each 10 deaths.

What? I guess I don't know what game/movie/thing this draws from.

I really like it. Very partial to collage type drawings like this.

Some crit:

-No focal point weakens overall impact
-Woman in white feels dissonant because she differs from everything else. It's as if she's trying to be the focus of all this but she crowded in like everyone else.
-There are parts with much more polish than other parts. This alone renders the image "unfinished", IMO.
-The obvious color mode painting is very digitally tell-tale (heads of bottom-left ghouls, chin of bottom-right snake/dragon, etc)
-Palette is tastefully muted except for certain parts, which gives the impression of lack of control while painting (snake/dragon's green color, ghouls' deeper blues, etc)
-Top-middle mega knight looks more like he has a shrunken head than foreshortened and towering over everyone.

Really fun to look at.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
« Reply #1513 on: November 28, 2011, 12:55:20 am »
you really should play Dark Souls. It's the best game of the decade.

The top knight does have a tiny head in the game too. The rest of your critique stands. Give the woman in the middle a warm palette and she'll pop out.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1514 on: November 28, 2011, 05:05:35 am »
Looked it up.

Stunning.

I get it now - "I decided to draw one Dark Souls character on this piece for each 10 deaths" - Dying is literally an intended game mechanic. Awesome.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • View Profile
    • lolipopsicle
« Reply #1515 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:33 pm »
@Zoso that top tree you posted man, all the right colors, very nice design. The text at the top is unreadable but hey! awesome art.

havent really done much photomanipulation before but this was really fun to mess with:

source image
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:32:29 am by Atnas »

Offline huZba

• View Profile
    • smupship
« Reply #1516 on: December 21, 2011, 09:35:03 pm »
Tried to address the issues. It was really relieving to paint in just black and white, but it makes adding hues really difficult. So B&W painting really just postpones the inevitable struggle with color.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/huzba/preparetodie6.jpg

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1517 on: December 21, 2011, 09:47:18 pm »
Atnas, what the CrAp! hmm . . .

huZba yeah man, your edits are good. I overlaid v1 over v2, good modifications.

Offline anoxic

• View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: December 25, 2011, 12:09:15 pm »
@Zoso that top tree you posted man, all the right colors, very nice design. The text at the top is unreadable but hey! awesome art.

havent really done much photomanipulation before but this was really fun to mess with:

source image

You reversed his face?!  :D

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: January 06, 2012, 11:30:38 pm »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/Daroge/GirlPolisj3.jpg

I finally decided to really play around with a tablet I got for Christmas, and I must say, tablets are awesome!

Now I need rest before I finish this picture... I'm very afraid of tackling the hair.

Offline Geti

• View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: February 07, 2012, 08:02:41 am »
treefart:

87 faces, 130 tris. Probably around 240 tris counting double sided geo twice.
128x128 diffuse+alpha.

need to get back into painting :/

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: February 09, 2012, 08:50:20 pm »
been forever since i came to this site. wish i still knew how to do pixel art, heh. its good to see how a lot of you guys have grown, everyone here is still amazing.

heres a recent character concept i did

Online Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 10, 2012, 02:48:34 am »
Ahh splat pixel, you were a huge inspiration when I was a pixeling youngin'! It looks like you've grown a bit too :] Your anatomy is looking much more sculpted which gives credibility to the slim stylization.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1523 on: February 10, 2012, 03:12:46 am »
Yeah look at that anat, nice. Oh . . . will my anat ever level up . . .

Love the subtle texturing in the garb, gives a pleasant effect. Very cool outfit concept, on right. Impressed.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 10, 2012, 10:16:13 am »
very nice, splat. the anatomy and rendering looks real slick. he looks a little hoof-footed though, maybe something to do with his right leg's shading or the shape of the feet, dunno. something like that
`~`

Offline Jeremy

• HAIL⚝SATAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: February 13, 2012, 04:03:42 am »
Punlarious t shirt design

@SplatPixel: Nice work, I too love the texture overlay. I think the toes are a bit stubby though :P
Also, unrelated, did you pixel the original PBJ Time banana or just the green guy? :o

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: February 13, 2012, 07:04:03 am »
Haha, awesome design, Jeremy. Marx beard is ridiculous.

Trying to find some way to bring this illustration together more cohesively. It's a tattoo design for somebody that will go on the front-facing part of the shoulder and a chain will come from the top of the watch to extend over onto the arm. I'm no tattoo artist, but I want it to convey as a readable graphic with a clean line style. It feels like the clutter of parts blasting out is making it too busy though.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1527 on: February 14, 2012, 04:34:43 am »
Nice job on the perspective angle of each piece. Do you have a method of using 3D software to get your lines/planes, right?

The heart reminds me of a Zelda heart container, from Ocarina of Time.

Worried about the detail level, and the tattoo blurring too much over time, which they all do, to some degree.

No pin thingy in center of watch face for hands to connect to?

Will this not be colored?

You could add some background effect of some sort. That would help unify things. You could utilize the meaning of Design itself - starbursts.

Also, it all fits a little too conveniently into an obvious square. I would expect a more horizontal/landscape layout, since the watch is springing open to the left. Minimize the watch, mininze the watch face, make the heart bigger (supposed to be the focal point, right?) and also give the heart a little tilt so it's perpendicular with the spring attached to it launching it forward. Some speed lines?

yep

Offline Dennis

• Dennis inter-is.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dennisbusch.de
« Reply #1528 on: February 23, 2012, 08:44:13 pm »
Anyone playing Starcraft II around here? I'm currently making a 1V1 melee map. If you play it (most easy way to find it on battle.net is to search for 'oceanic' when starting a custom game //edit: seems the map is only available on the Europe battle.net as maps are region locked to the account of the author (damn)//) I'd like to hear your thoughts about it. Also, if you could send me the replays that would be great.

Of course, since this is an art forum, feedback of any kind concerning the aesthetics of the map are most welcome too though please also keep in mind balance with respect to different races(and their feasible in-game strategies/tactics). I tried to design the map with a variety of different tactics in mind for each race.

Here's an annotated image of the map, so you can think about your strategy before playing it:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:44:59 pm by Dennis »

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 26, 2012, 04:50:11 am »
Nice job on the perspective angle of each piece. Do you have a method of using 3D software to get your lines/planes, right?

The heart reminds me of a Zelda heart container, from Ocarina of Time.

Worried about the detail level, and the tattoo blurring too much over time, which they all do, to some degree.

No pin thingy in center of watch face for hands to connect to?

Will this not be colored?

You could add some background effect of some sort. That would help unify things. You could utilize the meaning of Design itself - starbursts.

Also, it all fits a little too conveniently into an obvious square. I would expect a more horizontal/landscape layout, since the watch is springing open to the left. Minimize the watch, mininze the watch face, make the heart bigger (supposed to be the focal point, right?) and also give the heart a little tilt so it's perpendicular with the spring attached to it launching it forward. Some speed lines?

yep

Thanks for the writeup! You're correct in thinking Zelda heart container.  She asked for a specific version of it, so I just overtraced a version that was close enough to the perspective:

Been busy with side work and home crap so sorry for not addressing the response you so nicely spent time on :D Here's an update:

As for perspective, I just eyeballed it. Later remembered that Illustrator has perspective grids you can customize and toggle so I checked it here and there after drawing it up and was pleased enough with the result.

The squarish-ness about it I knew would be lessened once I added the chain to it. This will extend from the shoulder-ish area onto the arm. Still though, good to make it less contained for the watch section itself, so thanks! I cut down on some clutter a bit, but most tattoo artists that would be worth going to would alter the design for the best interests of translating into a good tattoo so we'll see what they say once it's actually brought in, and alter ourselves before committing to getting it inked if need be.

To start, and maybe even for good, it will not be colored and I wanted to keep that in mind to cut down on overdoing things to allow for room to color it, but still wanted the lines to be well enough to hold their own.

Mockups! (she wanted sizes changed after I showed it plopped down as lineart, wanted the clock to be bigger, heart smaller. Aw well!)

---------

Cool map, Dennis! I have Starcraft II just because I wanted to appreciate it at a slow pace, single player, on easy difficulty because I'm terrible at RTS games. It looks like there's lots of room for different kind of strategy and challenges though. I'd be very worried defending so many openings, haha, but like I said - terrible at RTS games. I get too wrapped up in upkeep of things and stress out too easily :P. On US-Servers, though, so no luck to give it a whirl, sorry!

Offline Gatts

• View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: February 26, 2012, 06:24:21 pm »

trying to learn how to draw :G

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 27, 2012, 11:57:21 am »
You hair rendering is already off to a good start, face is looking pretty toon-ish though.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1532 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:11 pm »
Cool update, Carl. Nice job on the tattoo-ish style colorin' in the mockup.

(which Zelda is the heart container from? Majora's?)

Offline blumunkee

• We glub but glob.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage of P. K. Mays
« Reply #1533 on: February 29, 2012, 09:45:32 am »
trying to learn how to draw :G

You already know how to draw. This is good stuff.
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.

Offline Dennis

• Dennis inter-is.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dennisbusch.de
« Reply #1534 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:15 am »
Cool map, Dennis! I have Starcraft II just because I wanted to appreciate it at a slow pace, single player, on easy difficulty because I'm terrible at RTS games. It looks like there's lots of room for different kind of strategy and challenges though. I'd be very worried defending so many openings, haha, but like I said - terrible at RTS games. I get too wrapped up in upkeep of things and stress out too easily :P. On US-Servers, though, so no luck to give it a whirl, sorry!
I'm not very good at multi-player either, still stuck in bronze ladder. :P Meanwhile, I've worked on that map some more, made a few quite radical changes to accommodate for a major point of critique, which was the chokey-ness and yeah, like you, most players were concerned about the defense possibilities. The map is available on two more server regions now(America being one of them), published on those by Akinokaze under the name 'Oceanic Mountain'.

append March 6th:
A little banner I created for the map release (Paint Shop Pro 8 ):
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:11:46 am by Dennis »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • View Profile
    • lolipopsicle
« Reply #1535 on: March 14, 2012, 04:32:18 pm »

Work really kills art for me, but then doing this I realized again how fun it is to just doodle. Tried to see where I'm at without reference... ouchie. Gonna work towards full body studies and more economic brushins. C:

and some brush pen sketches... horribly arranged.

just floating heads...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:47:23 pm by Atnas »

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1536 on: March 17, 2012, 07:24:44 pm »
@ Carl

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 17, 2012, 11:14:18 pm »
Hahaha, love it. Thanks <3

Can't find a bunch of my old dinosaur themed panels, but I did end up tossing the ones that I could in here.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 18, 2012, 03:16:13 pm »

Ref.
Trying to get the hang of charcoal. Third try.
I'm having trouble getting volume right which may be due to me not having one of those rubber erasers and not "getting" this very gestural type of drawing which is kind of new to me.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Online Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 13, 2012, 10:48:24 am »
9_6: Looks nice. I don't think the lack of volume has anything to do with  rubber erasers or gestural drawing; the problem here is specifically the subject matter. It's extremely hard to convey volume with something like patterned fur without a really strong form lighting situation. try some simple still life objects with one light source and see how that goes.

Heres a quick little something for all my deadbird and project entropy fans:

Offline Conceit

• Camus
    • View Profile
    • CraftMused -- my blog --
« Reply #1540 on: April 13, 2012, 06:35:26 pm »
Oh Ryumaru I know you're an awesome painter and everything but you had to post that RIGHT NOW above my puny little tshirt design? XD

I think I consider myself a fan of entropy...what happened to it? didnt you have to deliver it like a WEEK after the last post you made? =/ is it eternally going to be WIP now or something?

BTW, I'm following your blog and that left hand painting of a mac on a bed is mind blowing, I felt very very puny when I saw that.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I had posted about this design in the Off Topic thread but i figure here, I can atleast show it before people go to the link and somewhat kinda entice ppl to help me out :p

it's an entry for a thsirt design contest for The Dark Knight Rises, the coolest thing is if it were to make it to the top 3, Nolan himself would judge who of the top 3 should win.

Honestly guys, right now i'm not looking for the top 3, I'm looking to not go down with 4 puny little votes :p so please make an account here and vote for it.
http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/203347

The obligatory tshirt mockup

I wanted to do Bane as a ruler rather than simply a buff guy ; so I emphasized the attitude and the coat described in Lindy Hemming's brief about his wardrobe.

and for the sake of completion here is Bane pre-warner’s revision, which had a my dabble at Calligraphy =)
the idea that I never fully developed, was to have the calligraphy coming out of a mass of people chanting for Bane, which is the closest thing to visualizing what it is like in the trailer, I figure that overwhelming support by people, that Authoritas is the biggest difference between him and Bats who is a complete underdog and never the public overtly cheering for him. But then WB came and said they didnt want ANY text on the image other than a quick quote so that went straight to the trash bin :p

Batman as what his foes see him, "more than just a man" the archetypal shadow that attacks when you least expect it, also i wanted to throw in a little refference to that excellent moment in Begins where Bruce finally confronts his lifelong fear and makes a Tornado of bats

I do want comments BTW, just keep in mind it's already up for voting so no editing will likely be done....I didnt post it here as a WIP because honestly I find it overwhelming enough to try and fit all the ideas in my head into an image lately, so I dont feel like I am really in a position to take crits now...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:44:25 pm by Conceit »

Online Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 13, 2012, 10:54:15 pm »
Conceit: This is how far entropy got, complete with a horrible recording and odd opening animation. Progress is slow, I've been developing the concept more and I think its becoming more "holistic" or less disjointed.  I fully plan on finishing it and am determined not to have it be eternally WIP. It's also slowly been tying in with Deadbird on a backstory level but not to the point where they are dependent on each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBaEwkZtJss&feature=plcp&context=C442795bVDvjVQa1PpcFPsCmltLUOwXWtBsuP-HYwzYQpTXPl3aVY%3D

It's nice to know I have a follower! It's been a struggle but I've really been able to chase a successful image and not worry about finicky details. Theres no reason to feel puny, my shortcomings are much more abundant than my mastery and I'm constantly seeing there is so far to go and such little time to get there.

I think the Bane works well enough without the text anyway. The concept is nice but simplicity, especially in these cases, is often better.

I find the "transparency" of the white bats a little problematic as far as readability goes in the back. while it may make sense from a design and compositional standpoint I nevertheless find it awkward to look at. But the overall shape and composition is sold

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1542 on: April 20, 2012, 08:56:57 am »
Carl, that tattoo done yet? This reminded me of it - found on dA

Kinda koo. Has that crappy antiqued type of paint job, but the combination of elements is a dead ringer for that tattoo of yours; thought it was odd.

Offline Conceit

• Camus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: April 21, 2012, 03:35:52 am »
Little to no forethought on this one

Some random caped spaniard surfin on the trunk of some great old tree in space. or something :p
As a pixelartist photoshop was sort of the devil for me, but tonight made sweet love...and this was our lovechild =o

Online Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 26, 2012, 11:30:36 am »
step 1: start painting the face-

step 2: finish painting the fucking face!-

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1545 on: April 26, 2012, 03:04:51 pm »
See . . . whether just the default set, or fancy custom brushes, Photoshop's brushes will never achieve all that nice traditional textural quality. Of course, Corel Painter does better than PS, but it still sucks in comparison to what one can do with real pigment and real brush bristles, etc.
Wish you would've posted larger pics.

Online Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: April 26, 2012, 08:26:54 pm »
Digital has it's advantages too. Life would be a LOT easier with an " undo" button! Theres a larger version on my blog:
http://chrispariano.blogspot.com/ a bit blurry but may give you more detail than here.

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
    • WAIT DONT GO
« Reply #1547 on: April 26, 2012, 10:36:30 pm »
Do we need to get you a camera with auto-focus now!?

Online Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: April 26, 2012, 10:45:10 pm »
No, you need to get me a proper lighting set up. Or tell me not to take photos of paintings with one weak fluerescent light at nighttime!

Offline Conceit

• Camus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 01, 2012, 03:14:42 am »
I made another "dont think, DRAW" piece yesterday :p amazingly a tree came out again  :crazy: The point was to finish it in one night, because I've become far too accustomed to leave things unfinished. I hope to make the next one look more finished.

I dont think I had fun like this with a pallet since...probably the hexquisite corpse challenge, and this one was mine :p anybody has any comments? crits welcomed...despite what I just said up there in the Batman entry, this one has no idea behind it so no harm in crits :p

I made it on MyPaint. That program is amazing, it's open source and it seems to be the only one that can really deliver on the promise of tablets that it will be spontaneous and you can draw thick and thin easily, I usually am forced to switch brushes just to change the size by more than 20 points but in MyPaint I only changed brushes when I wanted another shape/effect.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:24:47 am by Conceit »